cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I keep getting selective sync conflicts by Dropbox?

Highlighted

Super User II

@karen007 wrote:

Can't DB just compare the files and decide which one is older and needs to be synched?

The newest file isn't necessarily the one that should be synced. What if I have a problem with a file and decide to roll it back to a previous version (using my own backups)? In such a case, the older file is the one that I want synced to all other devices. If Dropbox simply relied on "older files get replaced with newer files" then the version of my file that I want synced would be replaced with the bad version.

Now expand on that. A computer is infected with ransomware and many files are encrypted, each with new modification dates. There's an old comptuer that's been offline for a while and has a clean copy of the files, with older modification dates. You bring that comptuer online and Dropbox starts to sync. With your reasoning, Dropbox just overwrote your clean copy with the newer, encrypted copy of your files.

By creating conflicts, Dropbox leaves the decision making up to the user. Dropbox can't (and shouldn't) assume that it knows which files should be synced. Instead, it keeps both copies and allows us to determine which files to keep.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

The problem is, whenever I have to synch, there are conflicted copies and I have to use windows' search function to find out - otherwise they are just there forever. If what you said is correct, maybe DB should, after synching, pop up a window and ask which file you want to keep. Or provide a toggle to let users decide whether they want to keep the newest version or rather leave a conflicted copy.

I have 3 different laptops (at work, at home, etc.) and these conflicted copies are everywhere.

Highlighted

Re: Selective sync-conflicts

New member | Level 2

Yes agree on this need.  I always get compilation issues on VS 2019 and DB.  So I have to pause DB whenever I'm working during day, then remember to turn back syncing at end of day.  Ideally, both know how to live in existence with each other.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I'm definitely a newbie and pretty much an idiot, but this is what I did when I had the conflict problem (it added four folders that said were conflicted).  I went into selective sync and de-selected those four folders.  I then went to my file explorer and deleted those four folders from where they show up under DropBox.  I then went to DropBox.com and deleted those four folders.

A very tentative "Voila!"

While I realize that some of what I did seems redundant, maybe it was necessary.  I'm not sure what I did to have the conflict, I was just trying to move some pictures and folders and threw them into dropbox without thinking properly about where I put them.  I've tested it a bit, and the issue is not reappearing.  And the folders are not showing up in my Selective Sync, either.

edit:  AND NOW THEY'RE BACK!!!!  (so never mind)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?