Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I lost access to my files but I am the owner. What can I do now?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Two of my most important folders turned up empty this morning when I went to access the files in them. I am the owner of the folders and have them shared with another user (shared them years ago). As I frantically started trying to figure out what happened, I have determined that under the events page, there are four recorded events that supposedly happend on 8/19/2019 at 1:30 pm. It says I removed my access to both folders and then moved the folders. I promise I did not do this as I do not even know how. The other user still shows both folders under her account and even still shows they are shared with me. Those same two folders under my account show "Only you" as the member and they are empty. I am panicking. Help please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Access to Files Lost

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If the folder was moved out of the Dropbox folder, then the folder would get deleted from your account.

You would still be able to add it back to your account via the Shared tab.

You can still be the owner of a folder and not have it added to your account, if you want to both save space, or don't need constant access to the folder, just ownership rights.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this.

First of all, a move can happen for various reasons, even an accidental dragging of the folder to another location on your account.

Could you check if the folder is visible here?

If it is, add it back to your account and see if the files appear there.

Keep me posted!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes, they were there and I was able after I posted to find another thread that helped me find them again. I had to re add myself to the folders and do some work arounds but it seems for the moment I am back in. My concern remains though. Even if I accidentally dragged the folders, which I did not, how would that remove sharing and my access?? I am the owner of the folder. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If the folder was moved out of the Dropbox folder, then the folder would get deleted from your account.

You would still be able to add it back to your account via the Shared tab.

You can still be the owner of a folder and not have it added to your account, if you want to both save space, or don't need constant access to the folder, just ownership rights.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?