cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost everything on my laptop's desktop

I lost everything on my laptop's desktop

drclock
Explorer | Level 3

I was asked, by my band, to join dropbox, so we could share files.

As soon as I joined, (last thursday) it asked to sync, so i did.

Immediately, it said I had no space, and, it looked like my whole computer was on dropbox. Also, a big flashing box kept appearing, extolling me to upgrade.

I didn't like what was happening, so, I uninstalled dropbox quick.

Now, all the folders I had on the computer's desktop are gone.

This is terrifying. What do I do?

I feel like suing dropbox for erasing all my files, but maybe they are still somewhere?

What to do????

thank you

7 Replies 7

Re: I lost everything on my laptop's desktop

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @drclock, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this!

It seems that when installing the app on your computer, the computer backup feature was enabled.

Since you've uninstalled the app on your computer, the files should be located within the Dropbox folder on your computer, under the backup folder called "My PC/Mac". 

You can move the files from there back to the original locations on your computer.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

I too lost everything not only on my desktop but in dropbox.

I dont know how to restore any of it and they were very valuable files. I had put two important spreadsheets in dropbox and created shortcuts on my desktop. All i see now are the shortcuts but they say the files cant be found. I was very confused when downloading dropbox and thought i followed the proper prompts but when i pressed one of the two options i literally watched as every file on my desktop disappeared and then it said I had to upgrade. I would love to get some live support as I'm sure an agent would be able to help but that looks like it's impossible with Dropbox. REALLY upset

Daphne
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear about the situation @Saxman63, I'd be happy to help out!

Just to confirm that your files weren't deleted, can you please check in your Dropbox account online, and see if you can find the missing files there?

They would be within a folder named "My Mac/My PC".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, I appreciate your help and any help you can offer in the future. I apologize for not starting a new thread as I couldn't take the time to read through any more threads with inconclusive solutions. I don't know exactly where I went wrong in following the prompts to set up dropbox. I'm trying your solution, but dropbox is not letting me recover any files with out upgrading to a plan. I will do this but I cant believe that everything on the computer was downloaded to dropbox as I only want the files I choose to be on line. I worry about the security of people being able to see those files. I only need two extremely important files so I will upgrade the plan in an attempt to recover my information.

Again thank you for your suggestion,

Sincerely,

Saxman 63

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update @Saxman63.

I can assure you that even if the files from your computer are uploaded to your account online through the computer backup feature, no one else will be able to access them unless you specifically share the files.

Once you've restored any deleted files to your Dropbox account online, I would suggest allowing the desktop app to sync the files back down to your computer first, and show "Up to date" in the sync status.

Then, you can follow the steps outlined at the bottom of this article to disable the backup feature.

In step 6, you'll just need to choose "keep on computer" rather than in Dropbox to make sure the files are removed from your Dropbox account.

I hope this helps, don't hesitate to get back to me here with any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

I have recovered the originals on the two very important files I was beside myself about. Now I will work on taking all my files out of dropbox except for the two in question, I just don't feel comfortable about leaving my life on the internet.

Thank you for your help!

Bart

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that you have those safe @Saxman63.

I'll be just a post away if you have any questions.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead Bart!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Saxman63 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?