cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost files after uninstalling the Dropbox app on my computer, how do I get my files back?

I lost files after uninstalling the Dropbox app on my computer, how do I get my files back?

New member | Level 2

Hello. I downloaded Dropbox by mistake then i wanted to delete it from my computer and lost my files. Please help

After installing (i chose "make files local" when installed) it sterted syncing files and then said i was out of space. I didn't use Dropbox or anything like this before so i didn't know how it works so when i realised i didn't need it anymore i deleted (uninstalled) Dropbox app. The files disappeared. Then i downloaded and installed Dropbox again, some of my files (that were on desktop) recovered but part of folders with pictures documents photos and videos are empty now. I can't find those files anywhere, they're not on my pc anymore and when i go to my Dropbox account in browser those folders are empty too. I really need my files so there are my questions:

1. Is there any way to recover the files i lost by uninstaling the Dropbox app?

2. How to delete the app and my account and not lose files that i still have on my computer?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Re: I lost files after uninstalling the Dropbox app on my computer, how do I get my files back?

Dropboxer

Hey there @VickyBlack, thanks for reaching out to us here!

From what you mentioned, is it possible that the computer backup feature was enabled when you set up the desktop app?

Do you have a folder on your computer called "Dropbox (Old)", since you reinstalled the app on your computer, or did you delete the Dropbox folder too after you uninstalled the app the first time?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I lost files after uninstalling the Dropbox app on my computer, how do I get my files back?

New member | Level 2

Thank you for reply. I checked the computer backup feature and it wasn't on so it didn't save anything. No, i don't have a folder "Dropbox (Old)", i only have a Dropbox app and folder with two files "Get started with Dropbox"

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @VickyBlack.

Since some of the folders are empty in your account online, can you let me know if you can find and restore them with these steps?

It may be that the files couldn't all be uploaded to Dropbox, since you mentioned getting a notification that your account was full.

In this case, we'd need to look into trying to restore the files locally from your computer.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Yes, i checked "Deleted files" and there is nothing. The folder "All files" shows the same that i have on my PC - amount of folders, almost all of them are empty. I also used two data recovery softwares (EasUs which was free  and DiskDrill  for 108$) and i didn't get anything good. My friend who used them said he recovered files which were deleted months ago. But it didn't work for me for some reason 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?