cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my downloads folder

I lost my downloads folder

widgetbox
New member | Level 2

About a month ago I uninstalled dropbox. Today I tried to install it again, however dropbox keeps on reminding me about the folder from the previous installation and asking me to delete it and rename it or remove it. I try to rename it, it crashes. I try to delete it, it pops up with the message , "you can't delete the folder because it's open in another program. I did not know it was open somewhere else so I threw the folder into the shredder from mcaffe. It deleted about half of it. Then again, it deleted so much that the folder showed up as empty. And I have 2 problems with this 

1) I still cannot delete the folder because I keep getting a message that it is open in another program

2. i didn't notice it before but dropbox is connected to my downloaded folder (in the sense before /downloaded was /Dropbox) so after clearing the folder the whole folder became inaccessible and i got a message about no location and only after restoring the default location i regained access but the profile was empty. The files are not saved on my dropbox account so I don't see them in my history or deleted files tab. Is there any way I can recover them?

1 Reply 1

Re: I lost my downloads folder

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @widgetbox, let's see what we can do here. 

There could be a third party app, like maybe a security software, that could be interacting with the folder. 

Have a look through your Task Manager to find a list of running apps and see if by closing one, you're able to delete the folder. 

As for your Downloads folder, have you tried searching for any of the file names locally or checked our your deleted files tab online? 

Do you have a third party app that you could restore the files with?

Give me a shout with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?