cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting an error when trying to download files from a Transfer, what can I do?

I'm getting an error when trying to download files from a Transfer, what can I do?

CameronSound
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all. I've been having some problems receiving large transfer files from a fellow Dropboxer. 

He originally sent one 20 gig file, which was well within his limits for his account, but I couldn't 

download it. I got half of it down, and it just quit giving me an error message (error 79). 

He then broke up the file to it's component folders and sent them individually. Most were around

1 gig or under, and I had no problem downloading them. There was one folder, however, that was

11 gigs, and once again I got the same error message after attempting to download around half of 

the file. 

My limit for space on Dropbox is 4.2 gigs, but as a recipient of the transfer file my space shouldn't 

matter, or does it? Anyone else encounter this? 

Regards, 

Cameron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CameronSound
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, thanks for the input! 

I cleared my cache and created an incognito window to attempt the download again, but was having the same issue as before... Well, not exatly the same issue. The download would stop, but I wasn't getting the error 79 message this time. Instead, I received a network error message, and was able to resume the download. This happened one more time, but I was  able to restart the download, and eventually recieved the whole file intact.  I'm guessing this issue is related to downloading large files wirelessly, but I can't be sure. My desktop is too far away from my modem to try a wired download.  The good news is, I was able to get the whole file down. Thanks again! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @CameronSound, I'd be happy to help out with this!

Can you just clarify for me, when you're downloading the files are you choosing to save them to your Dropbox account or to just download them?

If you're choosing to save the files to your Dropbox account then you'll need to have enough space in your account to be able to hold those files.

If not, can you try the following and let me know if you see any difference in the behavior when downloading?

• Clear your browser cache
  • Use an incognito browsing window
  • Use another web browser

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CameronSound
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, thanks for the input! 

I cleared my cache and created an incognito window to attempt the download again, but was having the same issue as before... Well, not exatly the same issue. The download would stop, but I wasn't getting the error 79 message this time. Instead, I received a network error message, and was able to resume the download. This happened one more time, but I was  able to restart the download, and eventually recieved the whole file intact.  I'm guessing this issue is related to downloading large files wirelessly, but I can't be sure. My desktop is too far away from my modem to try a wired download.  The good news is, I was able to get the whole file down. Thanks again! 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that it worked out well in the end @CameronSound!

If the issue does crop up again or you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a message here as I'd be more than happy to help out. :grin:

I hope you have a great day ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    CameronSound New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?