cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble importing a video from Vimeo, any help?

Highlighted

I'm having trouble importing a video from Vimeo, any help?

New member | Level 2

Videos from my iPhone (extension is .mov) get easily imported but some not (too much volume - lasts about 3 mins.)

I was able to upload those videos to Vimeo , and then export them to Dropbox, but can’t view them as preview in Dropbox- the imported link is strange, with no extension.

HOW DO YOU IMPORT A VIDEO TO DROPBOX FROM VIMEO?

IS THERE A WAY TO COMPRESS IT AND THEN POST IT ON DROPBOX?

Many thanks in advance!!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Video import

Dropboxer

Hello @Charlotte7777, I hope you're having a good day so far!

When you're importing the video from Vimeo to Dropbox, is it perhaps creating a link to the file in Dropbox rather than actually saving the file to Dropbox?

If you'd like to compress the video to upload it to Dropbox, then you would need to use a third party app to do this. You can do a quick web search for some potential apps to use.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Hi @Daphne, thank you for responding so quickly!

I actually was able to solve the problem by moving my videos from Vimeo back to my own camera roll. At this point Vimeo asks you what resolution you wish to select. I chose the lowest possible to make sure that I can upload those videos to Dropbox from my camera roll. It worked really well and quickly, though it definitely is a trade-off with regard to quality.

For this time I was able to get away with it but I still need a better solution for the future - a way to compress it, as you said.

The problem with the Vimeo import link was, it had no extension at all and it wasn’t possible to get a preview in Dropbox - as if it were not supported by Dropbox.

I’ll keep you posted if I find a better solution.

Cheers!
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing your workaround with me here @Charlotte7777!

I'm sure this info will be useful for others who might be having a similar issue.

If the file that was imported to Dropbox without a file extension, this would be why it couldn't be previewed in Dropbox. Without a file extension the file type can't be detected to create the preview of the file.

You can check out which file extensions can be previewed within Dropbox from here if you'd like.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?