cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: share file link

I'm having trouble sharing a link

Junjie L.
New member | Level 1

It was previous very simple to generate a link of a file to share by right click. But now that function is changed and you can only select a few apps/programs to use to share. This is not very convenient at all. Can you bring that feature back? thanks.

9 Replies 9

Julian O.1
New member | Level 1

Hi!

I don't quite understand your question. You are still able to create a shared link to any file or folder. You can find instructions how to create a shared link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

Thanks!

Dom

Junjie L.
New member | Level 1

thanks for your response. What's shown in the webpage was what I used to see. But now, those "Share Dropbox Link" etc. options are gone. As attached. 

Not sure what happened.

thanks.
></p>

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone!

Looks like you're missing the Dropbox Finder integration 😞

This is the tool that helps us display icons and context menus and shortcuts to share your files 😉

I also notice that you are missing the overlay icons (e.g.the green check mark). This happens when Dropbox isn't running, you're not in the Dropbox folder or you're missing the Finder integration.

To troubleshoot this, we'd need you to answer those questions:

• Is Dropbox running and syncing? check the icon in the menu bare upper right hand corner.

• Open Finder.  Is the Dropbox toolbar icon visible in Finder?  The tool bar icon in Finder is the square/dropdown with a Dropbox icon that has the same options the context menus would show (e.g. "share link").

• Does the Dropbox logo show in the Finder side bar or is it just a plain folder icon? I can see that in your screenshot, it is a plain logo, it is very likely that you are not in your Dropbox folder!

You should make sure you're in the Dropbox folder and not just a folder called Dropbox before reading below.

For the other users, keep on:

• Is the Finder extension installed?  To check this go to "System Preferences" and look for "Extensions". Look for an item called "Finder" in the side bar and click it.  If the extension is installed you should see an entry for Dropbox.

• Is the extension running? To check this, open "Activity Monitor". Once there use the search bar to look for "Dropbox".  If the extension is running, you should see a white box icon called "Dropbox Finder Integration".

Let us know your answers 🙂

Abigail S.
New member | Level 1

Hi Andrea P.

I have the same problem as Junjie L.!  Here is my Activity Monitor result. 

Thoughts on next steps?  

></p>

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Abigail!

The finder integration seems to be working fine for you this is a good news 🙂

Do you have the overlay icons on your file (green check mark)?

Do you have a Dropbox icon in finder on the upper right hand corner (and if you click on it, you get the option to create a share link)?

Philip G.11
New member | Level 1

I used to click share link and then paste that one line link into emails, etc. Can't do that anymore.  Looks like I can only share with designated persons.  What's gone wrong?

Peter P.46
New member | Level 1

I can send links to my dropbox files from my laptop but nothing on right click from my Mac.

From the number of people with the same problem over the months, still unresolved, it looks like Mac wants us to use Cloud and is removing integration to Dropbox.

Nick M.43
New member | Level 2

I send a video file as An Attachment. I can open it but my recipient get this message.

EEMSG Message:

The following attached file was dropped from the original message because it violated the executable file attachment policy:

www.dropbox.com.url

Please help.

Rich
Super User II

There's nothing for Dropbox to do here. The recipient's mail client (or mail system) is blocking access to the file. They'll need to configure it to allow the messages/attachments through.

It sounds like the recipient might be using Outlook, so they might want to start here:

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?