cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm missing files after installing the desktop app on a new computer. Any ideas?

Highlighted

I'm missing files after installing the desktop app on a new computer. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

My MacBook Pro crashed yesterday and ended up buying a new Air. When going through the process of setting everything up again, I was able to download the app and sign in but almost all of my files are gone. There are hundreds and I don't know what to do. HELP!

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Missing Files

Dropboxer

Hi @Bluefrog Paul; welcome to our Community!

As a first step here, we'll need to make sure that the app has finished syncing. Can you take a look at your computer's menu bar and let me know what the app states exactly?

Also, can you see all of your files when you log into your account at dropbox.com?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Paul! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for responding Walter. I have two dropbox accounts linked to the same user profile. What it appears to be is that the account that has the files missing is the second account on that profile and it may be that althought I had thought it was syncing; it very well may be the case that they never did. 

As I log onto the dropbox website, there are only a couple of files there. The rest are likely stored locally on my machine, which at this point, I cannot access. I had thought that they were syncing and therefore, being backed up onto dropbox but it doesn't appear to be the case. 

Who would have known that you can't have more than one account sync per profile? 

I hope that I am wrong here and if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your quick response Paul!

Truth be told, you can connect and sync two separate accounts on one computer, supposing that one of them is part of a Dropbox team account, be it a free team or on one of our Business plans. 

That said, I'm not sure what you mean here: "the rest are likely stored locally on my machine, which at this point, I cannot access"; could you elaborate on this?

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again for your reply. 

I do not have a teams account nor a business account. It does seem that it is syncing the two seperate profiles now - and the app on my computer looks much different than it did before. 

The real issue is that I cannot seem to locate my files in dropbox. Is this something you can help me with, please? 

Thank you! 

Paul

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details Paul.

Can you log into both of your accounts and check your events page to see if you can find anything related to those missing files of yours there? This is the place where all edits, adds and deletes are normally logged so it should give you a hint or two. 

If you can't find them there, they probably never made it to our servers to begin with. 

A screenshot of what's troubling you might also help here so please feel free to include one in your next reply. 

Let me know what you find! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Walter, 

This is helpful as I have found some of the files there... as well as in Shared Folders.... however, it's kinda random.

I had recently revised the whole set up of my file system for this account but sadly it was from my desktop app and not online so I am unsure that it ever synched up! There is no history of it in the events page; the last event was logged on Feb 04 other than connecting my email address to this account. I am still hopeful that somewhere on the servers, they can be found. 

I am also wondering if it somehow connected to another email address. Is there anyway you can check? 

Thanks!

Paul

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey Paul; how are you today?

While I won't be able to check if those files were uploaded to another account of yours, you should be able to do it easily by opening an incognito window and trying to login using the other email address of yours; the one associated with your second account that is. 

If you can't find your missing files there as well, it means that they never made it our servers so you might want to look for them locally on your computer. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Walter. I will try the incognito approach and let you know. 

Yes, I believe that they didn't sync and may be lost as the power supply on the computer died. In the event that it's the only issue and they can replace the battery and save my data (it's a mac so if it's beyond the battery, I am likely out of luck) and then I will be able to access my files. 

Wish me luck and I will let you know how it goes. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey Paul; how are you today?

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you earlier; have you had any luck with this so far?

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?