cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleted my data from my computer

Highlighted

Re: Restore MY PC folder

Dropboxer

Hey @zakir

Lusil has already reached out to you via email to create the ticket for you. Did you receive this email?

For us to be able to look into this with you via our Support channel you'll need to reply back to the email that Lusil sent you previously.

Let us know if you have any trouble with this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

All local files are gone after deleting the Dropbox folders, any help?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have installed dropbox today on my Mac (Sierra OS) and it "took over" my whole sysstem. I couldnt save anything anymore locally and it went straight to the dropbox. I tried to turn of the sync and tried to close the app. Nothing worked. It wouldnt let me uninstall the app because I had files in dropbox. So I deleted the folders just to find my mac "wiped clean". I can´t access any of my files, I cant see any of them on my desktop anymore and I m really close to lose it, because all my work files are gone. Please please please someone tell me that they arent gone and that I can delete this app and can go back to my normal life without dorpbox on my mac but with all my files.

Thanks in advance,

rmd

Highlighted

Cancelled setup and now all my files are missing!

Explorer | Level 4

I just went through the setup and didn't realize the process would move my files out of their place in my directory into a new location! I was installing Dropbox, but when I realized that backing up all my files was going to exceed my storage limit, I cancelled the sync, updated the preferences to not include My Mac and proceeded to delete the files. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the setup process moved the contents of my system based, "Documents" folder in to the Dropbox folder itself! Imagine my surprise when I tried to find a file today, but it was no longer there.  But the directory pointed me to the deleted Dropbox folder.  Now I can't even find it in the Trash, because the deleted file only contains aliases to the folder hierarchy.  I understand the logic in this, but the step was definitely not clear in the setup. I need considerable assistance to recover these files now. Please help!!!

Highlighted

Re: All local files are gone?

Dropboxer

Hey there @rmd, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup option during the installation of the desktop app on your computer.

If the files were uploaded to Dropbox before they were deleted on your computer, then you can try restoring the files with these steps.

If not, then we would need to look into restoring the files locally on your device. Can you locate and restore the files from your device's local Trash bin?

I hope this helps, let me know what you find!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply! Yes, unfortunately it looks like I did that (the backup option), which I didnt know dropbox would do. When I tried to uninstall dropbox (unlink, close the app), the app still wouldnt let me put in in the trashbin  because it said it would still be connected with other applications. so what I did (because I read that I have to take all the documents out of the dropbox before uninstalling it) was taking all the folders out of the dropbox folder on my mac and moved it into trashbin. since the dropbox still wouldnt let me uninstall it (see message above), I emptied my trashbin, since I thought it might still has somehow a open link to one of the documents. What I didnt know, that I was deleting all my files with this action locally as well. I wasnt aware of that, dropbox is basically occuping my "desktop, documents and download" folders. I thought it just have a link on it but not really use it (like more like a copy). So trashbin is empty, files are gone and dropbox still doesnt let me uninstall it and I still can´t save anything local. Btw I talked to the support yesterday night. they told me that i can drag out the folders out of the dropobx folder in my finder (because since the download folder is in there, i couldnt even download anything from the internet anymore). that worked for a couple of minutes, before dropbox grabbed them again. I ve never thought that an app could literally taking over my Mac like that + I paniced.  Right now I m so frustrated and have to see if I can get my files back with some sort of recovery tool. But the dropbox app is still on my Mac and I m still not allowed to delete it.

Highlighted

Re: Cancelled setup and now all my files are missing!

Dropboxer

Hi @vzobel, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

Could you first ensure that you've disabled the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article.

After this has been done, if the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the deleted files page on the Dropbox site.

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @rmd and apologies for the delayed reply!

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your files there, since they were syncing with Dropbox removing them from the Dropbox folder would indeed remove them from the other folders too.

It sounds like the backup is still enabled on your computer from what you've mentioned.

Can you try disabling the backup with the steps outlined here? If you're having trouble with that then you can also try unlinking your account first.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Highlighted

Dropbox deleted my data from my computer

New member | Level 2

I download app for dropbox to my PC. Once it was downloaded it started to upload things from my computer and would not stop. I didn't tell it to upload any of my things to dropbox. I try to delete the folder because I didn't want that in the dropbox. I wanted certain photos that I didn't get a chance to upload. Then I went to delete it but there wasn't enough room so it asked to permanently deleted it. Yes I wanted it permanently deleted from Dropbox. I DIDN"T want it to delete photos and videos it took from my computer. Now, I don't have my stuff. I want it back. How do I get it back? 

Please help me. I have read and tried to get the photos and videos back.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox deleted my data from my computer

Dropboxer

Hi there @NK6, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like upon installing the desktop app, our computer backup feature was enabled, which adds computer folders such as Desktop, Downloads, and Documents. 

If you don't want it enabled, you can turn it off as mentioned in this article

If you deleted the files unintentionally from your computer, could you check your deleted files tab, as well as your Recycling Bin? 

If you find the files via the website, you can try restoring them by following these steps

Since you mention that you don't have enough storage, you can try restoring the files back in batches and then moving them back to their original locations, or you can temporarily leave any shared folders that exceed the account's space limit. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil

Highlighted

HELP - I lost all my Mac files

New member | Level 2

Help please!!! I installed Dropbox and it sync with my files. I deleted Dropbox and all my Mac files desapeared!!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?