cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm missing some files after deleting the backup folder from Dropbox on my computer. Any ideas?

Highlighted

I'm missing some files after deleting the backup folder from Dropbox on my computer. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

I installed Dropbox on my computer, not being that computer literate i guess i backed up my whole computer or desk top or files to dropbox. i had this DB icon on everything i use for work. Like the idiot i am i deleted the dropbox file. . and lost everything. like all my work files and notes for the last 4 years gone. i was able to "recover" them from DB but most things have a X and most my notes and files are not on my desktop even though a icon is there. i can through serching find them on my DB. but i need them back on my computer and not sure exactly how to do the process with out downloading each individual file. I searched and searched for a support number but cant find one so i assume this is how questions and answers are done. 

89 Replies 89
Highlighted

Re: I'm missing some files after installing the desktop app and choosing to backup my computer. Help

Dropboxer

Hello there @twclark78, let's see what we can do about this together. 

At first, since the red icon with the X means that something is wrong and the files aren't syncing, have a look at this article which suggests a few reasons why this can happen.

If you're still having trouble, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Keep me posted, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Deleted Dropbox Desktop App and Lost all My Desktop Files

New member | Level 2

Dear Dropbox Team,

On Wednesday the 13/05 I decided to install your desktop app onto my Mac. I then later decided that I wanted to remove it. I deleted the files including the name Dropbox. After emptying my Mac’s trash everything from my desktop disappeared. This include and is not limited to important work files (logos, apps, unreleased merchandise and a lot of AI and PSD working files for clients and myself) important photos and videos, etc. Much of this which was supposed to be a form of income for me. I logged into Dropbox online hoping that the files would be there, but instead all I found was a folder titled My Mac (Jardin’s iMac) with sub folders Desktop, Documents and Downloads, all of which have no content. 

Please tell me if there is a way to revert these changes or a way to recover all the deleted content. As I am sure you have gathered, it is really important to me that it is recovered. 

Sincerely,

Jardin 

Highlighted

My files on my computer have been deleted, can you help me?

New member | Level 2

Hello please help me I lost all my computer files😓 an automatic file transfer from my computer to deopbox was starting and since I didn ´t want it I tried to stop it by placing dropbox in my computer trash and then I emptied it. But instead of only deleting drop box and the files in it it deleted all the files that were on my computer hard drive. I have a mac and called Apple and they said I have to sort it out with dropbox because they can’t get the files back. Please helpme what can I do? All my work is lost

Highlighted

Re: Deleted Dropbox Desktop App and Lost all My Desktop Files

Dropboxer

Hi @Jardin87, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this, let's see if we can locate those files. 

If they had previously synced to the Dropbox site before they were deleted, then they could be recovered from the deleted files page if this happened within the last 30 days.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. The folder I'm looking for isn't on the Deleted Files page. It seems to me as though this is related to the Dropbox Cloud. When I installed the Dropbox app, I noticed that everything on my desktop disappeared and after a little while everything appeared again. I believe that it was at this point that I decided to delete the app. After having deleted all files with the name dropbox I proceeded to empty my trash can. It was then that everything disappeared from my desktop. All I have left on my desktop is a thumbnail titled 'My files in Dropbox' but it doesn't seem to do anything.

When on the Dropbox site, I click on the righthand Files folder. I can see a folder called 'My Mac (Jardin's iMac)' but it is empty.

I see that there is Dropbox rewind available for purchase. Will this fix the problem?

Highlighted

Re: My files on my computer have been deleted, can you help me?

Dropboxer

Hi @Ines4444, thanks for posting today!

If you've enabled the automatic computer backup, then the files should have started syncing to the site.

If some of the files have synced, you might be able to recover them from the deleted files page.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It sounds like you activated the automatic computer backup feature.

At this point, if there are no files in the deleted files page, then it means that the files didn't have time to sync to the site, and it wouldn't possible to recover them via Dropbox, as Rewind also uses the deleted files page history to recover the files.

You can doublecheck this in the events page to see if there are any added files, and then deleted files.

I'd recommend checking on your machine, or with Apple if there is a way to recover files deleted from the Trash in order to recover them.

Jay

Highlighted

Re: I'm missing some files after installing the desktop app and choosing to backup my computer. Help

New member | Level 2

I'm missing some files after installing the desktop app and choosing to backup my computer. Help

Is it possible to unsync the files to recover them on my computer?

[personal information removed as per Community Guidelines]

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @Pic, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

In this case, it sounds like you're referring to our automatic computer backup feature being enabled. 

For this reason, check out this article which has more info and relevant steps to disabling it. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?