cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm missing some files on my Dropbox account

I'm missing some files on my Dropbox account

Explorer | Level 4

I downloaded Dropbox to my new pc and installed it. When I open Dropbox from the desktop icon, there are missing files. When I open Dropbox from from the task bar, there missing files are there. How do I combine the information ?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Missing files

New member | Level 2

It may take some time to fully synchronize Dropbox with the cloud copy.

Look at the DropBox icon, lower right corner of your desktop if you are a PC user or top bar if a Mac user.  If there is a blue circle icon on the dropbox icon, it is still synchronizing.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for thhe suggestion, but it did not solve the problem. The tablet and smartphone have Dropbox and both have the identical files but the pc has a different set of files. The tablet versiion is an older dropbox and the pc was recently added after a cxomputer reset.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Initially, do you see any icons on the files that you can see? What icon does the Dropbox folder that has the files in it have - is it a Dropbox icon or does it look like any other folder on your computer? 

Furthermore, could you please check if the path of the folder you see the files in is the same as the one where the files don’t appear? Does the OS’s file manager show the same path for the folder that contains the files as the one in your desktop? You can also do this by following these steps:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your clock. 
  • Select the gear icon. 
  • Choose Preferences…
  • Navigate to Sync on the pop-up window. 
Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Lusil for responding. Another Dropboxer provided the solution in an earlier response.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your concern in the end, @deanefelter. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us. In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dropboxer Walter provided with great instuctions on how to comine 2 accounts with different emils. I thought that I followed the instructions very carefully. The result being I lost the files in one account but have the files in the other account. Now I am embarrassed to say I have lost a Dropbox account which had current files and folders. The gmail a/c is fine with the older files but the comcast is gone into the wild blue yonder. Feel very stupid today. Hopefully, there is a method to find the comcast dropbox files.

I apologize for causing such a problem.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @deanefelter

As a first step, could you please check your events page and deleted files tab? Please bear in mind that you can recover and restore deleted files by following the steps outlined in this article.  

If you don’t find something there, could you please ensure that you’re looking at the relevant Dropbox account by checking which email address is associated? You can do this by:
Hope this helps!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi ----I must have really messed up, followed your instructions extremely carefully and I did locate the Events and deleted files but none were what I am searching for. I went to Dropbox Support but they want an event link but all the events or deleted files were empty.

Will try again tomorrow--too frustrated right now as I must be doing something incorrectly !!

Thank you for your help and advice. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
No worries, @deanefelter

Initially, if you didn’t find anything in your deleted files tab and your events page, please ensure that you’re looking at the relevant account by the email that’s associated with it. 

However, since you mention: 

@deanefelter wrote:

I went to Dropbox Support

I’d kindly recommend continuing the discussion with them via email. Rest assured, they'll do their best to assist you. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?