cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to delete the "My Mac" folder as I'm getting an error. How can I remove it?

Highlighted

I'm not able to delete the "My Mac" folder as I'm getting an error. How can I remove it?

New member | Level 2

Cannot delete empty folder.

Cannot delete the folder "My Mac (imac-van-Gerrit-2.local)".

Drobox gives an error that he cannot delete it.

The folders are empty.

Can you remove the folders for me.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Cannot delete empty folder

Dropboxer

Hi @gerritegbertzen, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’re using the automatic computer backup. Have you first disabled this feature using these steps?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36
Highlighted

Re: Cannot delete empty folder

Dropboxer

Hi @gerritegbertzen, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’re using the automatic computer backup. Have you first disabled this feature using these steps?

Keep me posted!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Have I created a Dropbox loop that won't allow a folder to delete itself?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello and thanks in advance for any insight into my issue.  I have a handful of folders that will not remain deleted.  One of those folders has somehow eaten up most of the space in my dropbox, so I am looking to clean up the folder by deleting, but they just will not go away.  I read the reply to a similar question stating that I can use version history  to find where the culprit file might live, but the response i receive when i use version history is that "there is no history" on said files.  When I delete the topmost folder, the file begins to process, but stops and the message  that the file cannot be deleted.  I am not a dropbox genius by any stretch, but I am wondering if I have created some sort of loop that will not allow the file to be deleted.  Currently, the folders in my dropbox look like this: 

My Mac (Macbook Pro)>>Desktop>>Documents>>FULL OF FOLDERS

My Mac (Macbook Pro)>>Desktop>>My Mac (Macbook Pro)>> Empty folder

My Mac (Macbook Pro)>>Documents>>Empty Folder

My Mac (Macbook Pro)>>Downloads>> Empty Folder

What could I have done???  I am totall ypuzzled.  Any help would be welcome. 

Highlighted

Re: Have I created a Dropbox loop that won't allow a folder to delete itself?

Dropboxer

Hi there @tjm037, let's see what we can find out about this together. 

It sounds like you may have had automatic computer backup enabled, which in turn means that, to remove the folders in question, you'll have to turn it off. 

Once you do this, your files will remain in your Dropbox account, but they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. Instead, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder.

However, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder, back to their original folders, at any point in time. 

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

oooh, this sounds like a good possibility.  I do recall clicking on some fancy new dropbox feature (that I thought I would understand) several months ago.  Let me dig into that and see if I can solve my problem.  Thank you!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

No worries, @tjm037 Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

A file won't stay deleted from my account, why?

Explorer | Level 3

I keep deleting a file I accidentally added to DropBox but it resyncs every time. I've tried moving it to my trash on Mac and emptying my trash, deleting it on the site, and clearing the cache, nothing has worked and it's taking up 1.7GB which is almost all of my space! The folder is only shared with me, and I have a copy of it on my hard drive already so I don't need it on DropBox. How do I get rid of it?

Highlighted

Re: A file won't stay deleted from my account, why?

Dropboxer

Hi @emmajaneh, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you clarify if this is a file or a folder that was shared to you? If it’s a folder, have you tried these steps to remove it from your account?

If it’s still returning, could you forward a screenshot of what you’re experiencing?

Keep me posted!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay!

This folder is only shared with me. It's a very large folder with a lot of Pro Tools presets (I have it saved elsewhere I said previously so I'm not worried about deleting it off of Dropbox). I have already found that page and followed all of the steps, but when I go to permanently delete on the website I get an error message that the folder "failed to delete". I'm attempting to attach a photo of that message but the alignment options are covering up the "done" button and not allowing me to press the edge that I can see... Having a lot of problems with Dropbox! I also have a screenrecording of what happens when I try to delete from Dropbox via finder (the file just reappears after deleting) but I'm not sure how to attach a video here. I'll try to attach photos in a second reply.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.32.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.32.13 AM.png

Okay, I got the photos to upload on Chrome! I guess the photo upload feature doesn't run very well on Safari (I've tried deleting on Safari, Chrome, and through my Finder.)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?