cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to delete the "My Mac" folder as I'm getting an error. How can I remove it?

Re: A file won't stay deleted from my account, why?

Dropboxer

It looks like you're using the automatic computer backup feature.

Could you try disabling it using the steps above, and then you can delete the folder from the site, provided you're certain you've copied away all the necessary files in that folder, since this is the current location for your documents on your Mac.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay!

That worked but for some reason Dropbox took all of my folders out of Documents. I've been able to find them and move them back through the search feature in Finder, but I figured I'd make a note of it here in case anyone has a similar issues and also has a near-heart attack once they see their documents tab is empty! Thanks!

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve this, @emmajaneh!

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Folder with an Apple logo

Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys,

Anyone encounter such problem with their Dropbox using Macbook?

I do not know why there's this Apple folder in my dropbox and the thing is, no matter how i tried to delete it, this folder kept coming back. I tried to search on google, I can't find any solution. Any expert here can help me on this?

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 3.13.54 PM.png

Re: Folder with an Apple logo

Super User II

https:confused face:/help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/automatic-computer-backup-faqs should help

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Folder wont delete under any circumstance

Explorer | Level 4

A while ago Dropbox asked me if I wanted to add my Downloads directory to Dropbox for syncing and I said yes.  I have now changed my mind and want this folder gone but Dropbox will not let me delete it.  I have removed all files and deleted the app from my macbook pro and iphone.  Every time I try to delete the directory I get an error that states: Couldn't delete 1 item.  Keep in mind I want the Downloads and jasons-mbp.lan deleted.  Any suggestions?

Directory

My Mac (jasons-mbp.lan) > Downloads

Re: Folder wont delete under any circumstance

Dropboxer

Hi @jwmonroe1, I hope you're having a good day so far!

It looks like you've enabled the automatic computer backup for the desktop app, so to delete those folders we'll need to disable this feature first.

To do so, please check out the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article. Once this is disabled, you can move the contents of the Downloads folder back to its original location if you'd like and delete those two folders.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

How can I delete the Mac backup folder?

Helpful | Level 5

This folder "Desktop" was generated by my old Mac backups feature(I have canceled it). I don't know somehow I move it to the root directory of my Dropbox.

Now I try to delete it from the web, I got "Couldn’t delete 1 item."

If I delete it from my new mac app, the folder recover after several second.

I wonder if there is anyway to delete it.

Re: How can I delete the Mac backup folder?

Dropboxer

Hi there @Tshu, I hope you're well today!

It sounds like you might have enabled the automatic computer backup on your computer to backup the Desktop folder to Dropbox when setting up the desktop app.

Is this Desktop folder showing within a "My Mac" folder within Dropbox? 

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Re: How can I delete the Mac backup folder?

Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne  Hi, thx for your reply. Yes, I tried to enable the automatic computer backup but disabled it after that. This issue is somehow I moved "Desktop" out of the "My Mac" folder (currently it's in "Dropbox") and Dropbox seems still think it's a backup folder and I cannot delete it.

I tried to enable automatic backup and disable it again, this folder cannot be deleted.

I also tried to rename it, and got "This is a Dropbox feature, so you can't rename it."

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?