cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to delete the "My Mac" folder as I'm getting an error. How can I remove it?

Re: How can I delete the Mac backup folder?

Dropboxer

Hmmm, I see. 

Could you try moving this back into the "My Mac" folder and see if you can delete it from there @Tshu? Also, if this was the only folder that you chose to backup, can you try even deleting the "My Mac" folder while the "Desktop" folder is within it?

Before taking any of these steps though, please make sure that you've moved out any of the content of the folders to another location on your computer so that the files aren't deleted too.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

I cannot try to move it back to My Mac, neither local nor web. On my mac, I got "Can't move Desktop. This is a Dropbox feature, so you can't move it." On web page, I got "This operation isn\u2019t permitted." I also try to move Desktop in My Mac outside to override the outside one, this doesn't help either.

deleting folder--can't remove while still backing up files

Explorer | Level 3

Folder in Dropbox will not delete.  Messages says "Can't remove while still backing up files"  What does this mean?

Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne Any update here? Is there any other information I can offer? This is annoying.

Re: deleting folder--can't remove while still backing up files

Dropboxer

Hi @Spike123; thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

Did you by any chance enable the new computer back up feature on the computer you're seeing this message?

Could you send me a screenshot of the exact message you get so I can have a better look into this?

While we're at it, what's your desktop app reporting within the computer's system tray/menu bar? Is it 'Up to date' or still 'syncing'?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

have no way to delete the file (My Mac...)

New member | Level 2

I installed dropbox in my macbook air, then I found a special folder (My Mac... followed by my account ID) appeared. After failed to delete it 10000 times, I decide to unstall this software. But it still appeared on my other devices, and also have no method to delete it.

It really makes me uncomfortable, please tell me how to delete this folder! 

Re: have no way to delete the file (My Mac...)

Dropboxer

Hi @fusong, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like you had our computer backup feature enabled on the device in question, which adds computer folders such as your Documents and Downloads to the Dropbox folder. 

In this case, could you try reinstalling the desktop app on that computer and turn off the feature by following the steps mentioned in this article

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @Tshu.

To have a better look into this, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here. When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and reply back to me there to let me know you received that.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne Yes, I received an email and I had replied it to confirmed it's my email.

Re: deleting folder--can't remove while still backing up files

New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem. I have disabled the backup function, but I still have a folder in my dropbox app (smaller photo attached) that I can't delete because it perpetually says "can't remove while still backing up files" even though no backup is happening. Image attached.Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 11.14.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-15 at 11.16.14 AM.png

Polls
Do you use Dropbox for work, personal use or both?
Tell us your thoughts?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?