cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to edit files in the app on my iPad. Any ideas?

I'm not able to edit files in the app on my iPad. Any ideas?

Dinks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am collecting information into Dropbox files re ancestry.  I am not sharing.  I have Dropbox app on my iPad.  I go into a file I have already recorded information I cannot add or change text.This defeats the object of the exercise

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're in luck @Dinks, text files are actually the only type of file that the Dropbox app has a built in editor for!

When you open the file on your iPad, you should see an icon towards the bottom of the preview that looks like an "I". If you click on this, you can edit the text file from there.

If you're having trouble seeing this, please send me a screenshot of what you see when the file is open in the Dropbox app (excluding any personal info).

Just to note, with any other file type like Word docs or PDFs, you would need the appropriate app installed on your device. You'd see an "Open" icon at the bottom of the file preview, or you could export the file to the app you need to edit the file.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Dinks, I hope you're well today!

You wouldn't be able to edit files directly within the Dropbox app on your iPad, you'll need to have the appropriate app installed to be able to make edits.

Can you let me know what file type these files are? Eg. .docx or .xlsx

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dinks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Good evening Daphne

Thank you for coming to my aid!  I do have the Dropbox app downloaded on my iPad and always access it that way.  I don't know what else I should have downloaded.  The files I have are txt.  I think I'm a slow learner!!  

I look forward to your response.  
Dinks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're in luck @Dinks, text files are actually the only type of file that the Dropbox app has a built in editor for!

When you open the file on your iPad, you should see an icon towards the bottom of the preview that looks like an "I". If you click on this, you can edit the text file from there.

If you're having trouble seeing this, please send me a screenshot of what you see when the file is open in the Dropbox app (excluding any personal info).

Just to note, with any other file type like Word docs or PDFs, you would need the appropriate app installed on your device. You'd see an "Open" icon at the bottom of the file preview, or you could export the file to the app you need to edit the file.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Dinks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm ever hopeful.  I will check it out and get back to you.  Dinks

Dinks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you so much Daphne.  I hadn't noticed the "I" symbol before. I added some comments to a file with no problem.  Such a relief.  Access to your advice was simple with an email to alert me.  Stay safe!  Dinks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that works well for you @Dinks!

If there's anything else that I can help with, please feel free to give me another nudge here. 😁

Wishing you a lovely weekend ahead Dinks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

jfitzpat8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

yes use the application called, its not thr regular stuff, its worldwide and called kdan; PDF Reader Pro-Expert.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jfitzpat8 Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Dinks Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?