cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to see my files after using the "automatic computer backup" feature on my Mac.

Highlighted

I'm not able to see my files after using the "automatic computer backup" feature on my Mac.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I installed the dropbox app on my mac with an old account i didn't use.

This account was almost empty.

When i synced my mac with dropbox an error occured

Now i have NOTHING on my computer

All is missing from my Desktop, my Downloads and my Documents folders. ALL IS GONE FROM MY COMPUTER!

And the folders are empty on my dropbox too

So is there any chance these files who disappeared from MY COMPUTER can be found again?

It is absolutely unacceptable that dropbox can just F***ed personal files on my computer and make them disappear forever.

I'm so pissed cause there was late works i worked hard on and it's all gone.

41 Replies 41
Highlighted

Re: All files on my computer are gone

Dropboxer

Hey @stefanmassala, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Since you're using a Mac device, can you please try force quitting the Finder and relaunching it again to see if that helps? You can check out the steps for this here.

We released a Help Center article for this feature if you'd like to have a look at this too.

Let me know if this helps and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thank you for trying to help. At least it’s already something.
No it didn’t help at all, all gone like magic. Hours of work...
All I had left is 3 empty « alias » folders (desktop/documents /download).
Of course never again I’ll be using [profanity removed as per Community Guidelines]. And for sure never recommend this.
Had to reinstall my os because, not only it deleted all files, but it [profanity removed] the use of these aforementioned folders on my system. So not only deleted, I had to reinstall EVERYTHING! All apps, all updates, all little things here and there you download to make your work easier. All plugins and so on...
thank you for your answer and your time.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @stefanmassala!

I'm glad to hear that at least you got everything set back up again. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this, I've made a note of your comments and experience.

You would indeed need to have turned off the feature to stop backing up the folders you had selected to use them as before, which can be done through the desktop app settings outlined in the article I linked above.

If there's anything else that I can help with though, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here and I'll be more than happy to help out.

Hope you have a great day!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

I started syncing my desktop app, but my computer's folders then disappeared

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

In order to facilitate file sharing, I installed dropbox on my pc this afternoon.  Once installed, it started syncing all my primary files automatically (desktop, documents, etc.), which I did not want to happen.  I tried to click stop, but in doing so, all the files I had on my desktop disappeared.  My documents folder appears empty as well.  I have looked in dropbox’s Deleted Files area, but it says there are no deleted files.  I have also looked in my recycle bin, but nothing was deleted there.  I also viewed the hidden files in the .dropbox.cache folder, but it was empty as well.  At this point, I cannot find any of the files that I had stored on my desktop nor in my documents folder.  Is there any way to recover or locate these files?

Thank you!

Jen

Highlighted

Re: I started syncing my desktop app, but my computer's folders then disappeared

Dropboxer

Hi @jbanys, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you’re referring to the automatic computer backup, you can disable it from these steps.

When you say you tried to click stop, how did you actually stop it, by using the above steps? Had any files actually synced to the site? Are the folders visible in the Dropbox folder now, but aren’t syncing?

Keep me posted!

Jay

Highlighted

Re: I started syncing my desktop app, but my computer's folders then disappeared

Explorer | Level 3

no, I didn't know about the above steps. I was installing/ setting up dropbox on my computer for the first time.

It began syncing my desktop files, Documents folder, etc. All the icons on my desktop suddenly had a small blue circle icon in the lower left corners (a syncing icon?). I panicked because I didn’t know what was happening so I tried to close the window that said it was syncing. My computer then froze- I'm remoting into my work computer from home- so I had to reconnect. when I got back the connection the small blue circles were still on all my icons and there was a pop up window asking if I wanted to continue but that it may not complete due to the 2GB limit. I said no because I never wanted my files to sync in the first place. Then I saw a folder in my dropbox that looked like it was labeled "Desktop". Again, because I didn't want my desktop in dropbox at all I selected the folder and clicked delete. I had no idea that this would also delete my entire desktop and hard drive documents but it did. I just wanted to delete them from drop box NOT my computer. But the second I clicked delete every single icon on my desktop disappeared.
Most of them were shortcuts so those can be re-created, but I had a number of documents in my computer's Documents folder and those are all gone.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Most likely the automatic computer backup was enabled from what you’re describing.

Since you deleted the folder without letting them sync to the site, it means there are no files to recover via the Dropbox site.

However, your OS should have the deleted folders in the recycle bin/trash can. Could it check there to see if you can recover them?

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

No, I already looked in recycle/ trash multiple times.  There's nothing there.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Have you tried to search the offline folder Dropbox ?
It should be something like in the picture and it is a system folder in (C:\Users\username\)Untitled.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?