cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not seeing the online-only option on my device

I'm not seeing the online-only option on my device

Explorer | Level 3

I can’t seem to see the “online only” option when I go into smart sync (right clicked on the folder). I can only see “local”. I’m trying to free up space on my laptop as Dropbox has synced everything to it and I’ve run out of space. End goal is to put videos onto my ext hard drive.

7 Replies 7

Re: Online only

Dropboxer

Hi @Katev, thanks for joining the Community!

If you're upgraded your account recently, have you tried rebooting your machine entirely in order for the option to become available in the context menu?

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for replying Jay. No I haven’t upgraded my account, I signed up for the 2TB and am using the 30 day free trial, so once time is up it starts charging my card. If that makes sense. Nevertheless, my laptop has been shutdown and rebooted since and still not showing me the “online only” option. Have tried via the ap, finder and Dropbox.com

Dropboxer

The option for online-only should appear in Finder.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the options you get when you right click a file in Finder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Sorry, doesn’t look like I can upload a file here. It doesn’t have any Dropbox related options, just move to trash, get info, rename, duplicate, make alias etc.

Dropboxer

Are you certain that this file is located in the Dropbox folder, and that the Dropbox desktop application is running and syncing in the menu bar at the top near the clock?

A screenshot showing the options your Finder window and the right-click menu would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
I understand a screenshot would greatly help, but can you suggest how I can get that to you? I can’t see anywhere to upload a pic?

Dropboxer

If you're not seeing the option to attach an image, try uploading it to your Dropbox account and then share a link to the image so we can view it from here.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?