cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out of space after linking my PC to my Dropbox folder, how can I unlink this?

I'm out of space after linking my PC to my Dropbox folder, how can I unlink this?

Explorer | Level 3

I tried linking my PC to my Dropbox folder, and now I'm out of space. My preference is to unlink my PC and return to the simple folders that I previously had at Dropbox, not to use and pay for a lot of space. How do I do this?  There does not appear to be a "delete" option for the PC folder.  Thank you for the guidance.

3 Replies 3

Re: I'm out of space after linking my PC to my Dropbox folder, how can I unlink this?

Dropboxer

Hi @dlfishbein, thanks for posting!

From what you mentioned, are you referring to the computer backup feature, to sync your Documents/Desktop/Downloads folders?

In this case, you can disable this with the steps outlined at the bottom of this article.

In step 8, you would need to choose to keep the files on your computer, rather than in Dropbox so that they no longer take space in your Dropbox folder.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I'm out of space after linking my PC to my Dropbox folder, how can I unlink this?

Explorer | Level 3

Still in trouble, worse now actually.  All of my PC documents are no longer on my computer.  They are only in Dropbox, which is the opposite of my goal.  Now what?  Thank you so much for the help.  I tried following the previous suggestions, but some of the choices were not visible to me (e.g., Backups).

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @dlfishbein, sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

If you're only seeing the files now in Dropbox, it sounds like you might have disabled the backup, but it's not reverted the files to being just on your computer instead of Dropbox.

In this case, can you try moving the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer to another location on your computer now?

You can do this either with drag and drop, or even using cut/copy and paste, whichever you prefer. It would be the same action as moving any other files on your computer.

If you do run into any issues or errors, please send along a screenshot as the visual is always helpful.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?