cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm receiving a 404 error for a shared link I'm updating often that doesn't have an expiration. Why?

Explorer | Level 3

I have been using the "copy link" function to share a PDF file that I regularly update. I update by saving a new PDF file in the same folder  with the exact same name, i.e., replacing the original file.

On a few occasions, I have noticed that the copied link and this updating method work for several months and then suddenly ceases to work (when following the link I receive a 404 error: That file isn’t here anymore).

I have checked and my default setting for copied links is to have no expiration date. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or alterntive solutions?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Copy link expires?

Explorer | Level 3

Some additional information: I have not noticed this issue for files that I have a copied link for but do not regularly update.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @beal1, I appreciate the detailed post!

Generally speaking, what you’re experiencing may not be attributed to a single factor but may rather be a variation of the pointers outlined on this resource. 

Have you identified a pattern incidentally? It would be great if you monitored this behavior on a regular basis/for specific files & cross-referenced the results you’re getting each time with the hints relayed on the article I linked above. 

I hope that this addresses your initial inquiry, however please let me know if you have any follow-up questions in your next post here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the link. 

I can replicate the error via the following steps (without the "several month delay" mentioned in my original post).  
1. Create a shareable link for a PDF stored in dropbox. 
2. Save a new PDF with same name in the same folder, i.e., replace the previously linked PDF. 
3. The shareable link now ceases to work (reporting the previously mentioned 404 error).

If it is possible, could you please advise me on how Dropbox can be used to to create a permanent link for a PDF that will be reguarly updated + changed but will maintain the same file name.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me here @beal1

I'd like trace back the steps leading you to this error message & it would be helpful if you included the following in your next reply.  

- Could you let me know of the app you’re using to save these files back to Dropbox? It looks like the original isn’t overwritten thus breaking the link. Could this be happening by any chance? 
- Are you updating these .pdfs from your desktop or from your phone/ account online?
- Are you using any of the existing integrations? If so, please let me know which one in your next post. 

Thanks again for taking the time to gather these additional details & once you reply back to me, I'll do my best to further advise! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am using my desktop and the desktop App. No, I am not using any existing integrations.  

Yes, I believe the file is being  deleted and then a new version is saved, and this is why the link breaks. I would like to know how to get around this issue.

My steps for updating the file are below:

I am manually copying the PDF from folder A to folder B. Folder B contains the PDF with the copied link. When I "paste" the updated  PDF from folder A to folder B with the exact same file name I receive the prompt:

"An item named [filename] already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you’re moving?"  

I click "Yes, replace". 

After this, the PDF is folder B has the same filename as before but is a different PDF (i.e., it has been updated with  the version from folder A). 

However, no the link no longer works. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying @beal1!

Following-up to what we’ve been discussing here, I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at the account-specific details I have on file on my tools through our Official Support channel. 

Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?