Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm receiving an error message "Can't Save to Dropbox" as I'm working on my Google Doc. Why?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 9.37.59 AM.png

Hello,

New here, I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

Today is the first time I've ever received the above error. I strictly use dropbox to write text documents (docx) and today I find that it is not accepting changes to any of my files. Recovering content that I've written is not an issue, since I only wrote about half a sentence before seeing that it refused to save anything. The error is extremely vague. Here are some details about my circumstance which will hopefully make diagnosis easier:

I'm using a Chromebook. Can't test it on other devices, as this is the only one I have. 

I don't have an offline folder where these live, I strictly edit them via the in-browser editor.

I edit in Google Docs.

I'm only using 2.85 MB out of a 2 GB storage space. 

No one has permissions to edit any of these files but me, nor are they shared with anyone. It's all private. 

Things I've tried:

Rebooting my Chrombook.

Logging out and back into my dropbox account.

Editing the document in Microsoft Word Online instead of Google Docs. I get a new error that states "Sorry, you can't edit this document with other people". There are no other people, and the Google Docs edit is closed out.

Not sure what I could have done to make this stop working. It was working with no problems whatsoever last night. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Can No Longer Save Changes

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @SL11, thanks for the screensgrab, it’s been very helpful indeed! 

There’s no need to worry, you’ve posted us in the right place; welcome to the Dropbox Community by the way!

If we focus on the error message you’re receiving, I’m wondering if you are indeed missing the edits upon cross-checking on the doc’s history; please let me know in your next message if possible. 

As you mentioned that you’re also trying to edit the same file using Microsoft Word Online, could you please clarify for me if you’ve exported this doc from GoogleDocs as a .docx file & saved back to your Dropbox account? 

Also, from I'm gathering from your description, it seems that this is happening with more than one files, can you confirm whether it affects personal/shared content & to what extent? 

Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your response! Let me try to answer these questions. I've been experimenting, but haven't found out too much else. For about half an hour, this error seemed to be resolved. But then, out of the blue, it started up again, ceasing to save any further changes. It seems to crop up at random, not always when I open a file, but often after it's been open for 10-30 minutes.

So, I'm not quite sure what you mean by missing edits on cross checking doc history. Any edits I've made while the error is ocurring are indeed recoverable in history, but I can't seem to stop the error itself and continue making edits that will properly save. When reopened, the document itself does not show the recent edits.

I tried saving this file and reuploading it into dropbox with no change in results.

This is happening with at least two different files. It's hard to know if it will happen with all of them because sometimes the error takes upwards of half an hour to reoccur. However, I've just noticed that one of the documents has some conflicted copies that have appeared in my files. They're old--they contain content only up to what was written in them several weeks ago, but could these have something to do with it? I'm not really familiar with what causes conflicted copies. I assume they are safe to delete?

In addition, I was just now able to finally open these files in Microsoft Word Online, where so far the error has not reocurred, but I'll update if it does. 

Thanks again for your help! If anything in this post clues you into what I've missed or messed up, please let me know.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thank you so much for walking me through your current state of affairs @SL11; that’s great, as we’ve now covered most variables that may come into play! 

For starters, it’s great that you’ve now been able to open your files using Microsoft Word, as that’s a viable alternative in order to ensure that your edits are properly saved. 

Any edits I've made while the error is ocurring are indeed recoverable in history, but I can't seem to stop the error itself and continue making edits that will properly save. When reopened, the document itself does not show the recent edits.
As this seems to be happening intermittently, I’m wondering whether your connection is the culprit here. Have you by any chance looked towards this direction? Are you connecting through a home or corporate network incidentally? 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you check if you’re seeing the same behavior upon connecting to a different network? 

Last but not least, I’d suggest proceeding with caution regarding the Conflicted Copies you’ve discovered, as these versions may be important; please have a look at the resource I linked above before deleting those. 

Please let me know how you get on with my advice & I'll make sure to check back with you soon!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am having the same intermittent issue. I periodically get a message reporting "unsaved changes to dropbox". The problem occurs on two different (relatively slow) networks,  When the problem appears on one network it is also present on the other network. In all the cases I have seen it resolves spontaneously after a few minutes. It is not resolved by closing and reopening google docs, by closing and reopening my Chrome browser or by rebooting my computer). 

I would really appreciate help with this. I am trying to migrate to full-time use of Google docs (via dropbox) and I cannot do this, until I have full-time reliable service.

Thanks for your help

Richard Walker

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @rwalker1501, thanks for posting today!

The error message should be related to the connection to Dropbox servers, and that it wasn’t able to do so to save the file.

As you’ve mentioned this is only occurring on two slow networks, this is most likely the cause for what you’re experiencing.

Does this issue ever occur on a different network with faster speeds? Keep me posted!

Jay

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?