cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to download files but Dropbox is asking me to upgrade?

I'm trying to download files but Dropbox is asking me to upgrade?

Neelyre
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a simple free account, but client just sent or shared me a folder that has 45 gigs of material on it. I need to download the material, but dropbox is asking me to upgrade my membership to do so.

Is there way to do this without having to pay the fee/subscription?
I don’t use dropbox for any big projects, but I need to access this material. Is there something my client can do to let me access it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You client has invited you to a shared folder. In order for you to accept it, you need to have enough space within your account to hold that folder. You won't be able to access the folder without upgrading your account.

Instead, you should ask your client to send you a share link to the folder instead. A share link is a view-only method of sharing that doesn't require the recipient to have a Dropbox account. You'll be able to download the content to your computer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You client has invited you to a shared folder. In order for you to accept it, you need to have enough space within your account to hold that folder. You won't be able to access the folder without upgrading your account.

Instead, you should ask your client to send you a share link to the folder instead. A share link is a view-only method of sharing that doesn't require the recipient to have a Dropbox account. You'll be able to download the content to your computer.

djoseph451
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why does Dropbox want me to buy more space on my account if someone is sharing files with me? I don't want to add them to my Dropbox folder. I only want to download them to my terrestrial hard drive. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @djoseph451!

It seems you have a similar question to the OP here, so I've just moved your post here.

When you have the chance, please check out Rich's post here for some info on this.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    djoseph451 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?