cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m unable to create a shared link

Highlighted

I’m unable to create a shared link

Explorer | Level 3

On IOS, when I try to create a shared link I get a message "Unable to Generate Link - Something went wrong, and we weren't able to create a shared link." 

On my laptop using Windows, when I try to create a shared link it gives me an error saying "You don't have permission to share this file".  

These are my uploads and I don't see why I wouldn't have permission to share my own files. I have shared links in the past, but I am now unable to share any of my new uploads or even create links for my old uploads.

I am becoming quite frustrated, and Dropbox's labyrinth "customer support" website has been useless.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Error in creating a link

Explorer | Level 3
I’m trying to simply create a shared link but every time I try it says “there was an error creating a link and the link could not be created”. Anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it?
Highlighted

Re: I’m unable to create a shared link

Dropboxer

Hi @Jaymaymay; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

It seems like your shared links might have been banned; could you clarify how long have you been getting this error?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for getting back to me.

I was able to create a link last time I tried, maybe two months ago. Yesterday was the first time I tried since then, and I was unable. But after more tinkering, I was actually able to create a link for a single video that I uploaded in May - but I remain unable to create a link for any of my other uploads.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
And actually, the link I was able to create just directs me to an error 404 page, so that didn’t work either. Still unable to create any links.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I don't have permition to get a link for my own files. How can I fix this?

Thank you very much!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Since you've been having this issue for some time now, would it be OK if I reached out via email to investigate this further @Jaymaymay?

While we're at it, could you elaborate a tad on your query @Atanas-bg?

Are you also getting the error mentioned by the OP or another one perhaps?

How long has it been happening for you? 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Yes Walter email correspondence will be just fine.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick reply @Jaymaymay; I just sent you an email so we can have a better look into this.

Whenever you find some spare time, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem from 2 to 3 days? when I click link dropbox from a folder on your computer, a window will appear:
You do not have the permission to link this content
Im Polish: "Nie masz urawnień do utworzenia łącza dla tej zawartości"

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?