cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved my Dropbox folder and all the folder modification dates were lost. Bug or "feature"?

I moved my Dropbox folder and all the folder modification dates were lost. Bug or "feature"?

Explorer | Level 4

I moved my Dropbox folder from my system drive to a data drive installed in the cabinet. Dropbox moved all the folders and files, and preserved the file modification dates, but all of the folder modification dates were reset to the current date time.  Is that the expected result, or did something go wrong? I have 8,000 folders and 120,000 files from the past 15 years, so quite a bit of stuff to keep track of. The loss of the folder modification dates is painful!

5 Replies 5

Re: I moved my Dropbox folder and all the folder modification dates were lost. Bug or "feature"?

Dropboxer

Hey @TonyAVL, let's see what we can find on this. 

I'll just need a bit more information to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Did the dates change on your Finder/Windows Explorer or the desktop app?
  • Do you see the same modification date on your folders when you go through the website?
  • Did they change after you ran the desktop app again? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I moved my Dropbox folder and all the folder modification dates were lost. Bug or "feature&

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the reply! Answers below:

Q: Did the dates change on your Finder/Windows Explorer or the desktop app?

A: The dates changed in Windows Explorer.

Q: Do you see the same modification date on your folders when you go through the website?

A: When I look at the dates on the website they're correct! The information hasn't be lost. Yay!

Q: Did they change after you ran the desktop app again? 
A: Today the dates are correct on 3 out of the 37 first-level folders in the Dropbox folder. The modification date on the 34 other folders is the date that I moved the Dropbox folder.

I'm excited that the information hasn't been lost. Yay! Is there any way I can restore the dates I see in Windows Explorer?

Re: I moved my Dropbox folder and all the folder modification dates were lost. Bug or "feature&

Dropboxer

Thanks for all your additional information, @TonyAVL

The Dropbox folder on your File Explorer is like any other folder on your computer. 

Since the modification date hasn't changed on the website, there's not much I can offer about restoring it locally. 

However, do note that in some cases, a file’s modified date will only change on the device it was edited on and won’t be synced to your other devices or the website. 

You can find more information about it, here

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! The article you referenced doesn't address what happens with folder modification dates when the Dropbox folder is moved. It's not specified as to whether it would reset folder modification dates or preserve them.

Since the folder modification dates are correct on the Dropbox cloud, I'm wondering if I could start over and try it again. By that I mean going into the Desktop app and Unlink, change the folder, then relink. As I understand things Dropbox would immidiately repopulate the new Dropbox folder. Think that's worth a try? I've got plenty of disk space.

I read the FAQ article that you referred me to, "FAQs about modified dates for files and folders", and I was horribly dissapointed. I'm going to assume that Dropbox is aware the exceptions where the dates are lost are entirely inadaquate. File modification dates must be accurate across all platoforms, in all circustances and at all times. Folder mofication dates should be correct as well, although I'd grant that file modifacation dates are more important.

Dropboxer

Hi @TonyAVL, you can certainly try unlinking, changing the folder, and relinking the account to see if the correct modification dates sync down from the site.

Regarding the change on your machine, since you moved the folders to another location, namely in a new drive, the OS most likely created the folders as new, and moved the files there too.

This would be an OS matter on how folders are created and copied. Moving folders within the same drive shouldn't affect the modification date, but to a new drive, it could have the current date and time.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?