cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Save Error - Photoshop + File Sync +Locked Files

I need to disable syncing in order to save changes in Photoshop.

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There seems to be a change in the behavour in file sync. Now Dropbox interupt the saving process of an application (Planimate from InterDynamics). When the software saves it's file, I understand it does this to a temp file with ending .$$$. When the save process is done, and the file is verified, it replaces the orginal file with the new one and change the file ending the the appropriate. This has worked fine with Dropbox for many years. But lately Dropbox interrupt this and "lock" the temp file, making the software fail to save its files. Not very nice. I have to turn off Dropbox every time I do development nowadays. Please revert to a sync method less intrusive. 

53 Replies 53

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi, I have the same issue. Dropbox is not really working any longer. The need of first pause sync before you start to working, and by the end of day re-enable sync, is not a very smooth solution...

GPGS_PHOTOSHP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Mattias3 - Seems we are in the boat.

Not sure about you but I changed nothing at all about my setup, as in my daily workflow/methods - the only thing I can think of is maybe the latest Adobe PS install is bad, or the latest Dropbox update is bad, - both of those are the only things that I can think have actually changed of late.

But saying that I was using both fine until a couple of weeks ago, 

One thing I do notice is that Dropbox estimates for upload speeds and times are massively out, and fluctuate madly between huge and small numbers.

GPGS_PHOTOSHP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes - Please do!

bigmouth770
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Im having the same issue.

GPGS_PHOTOSHP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes - I am sure I answered yes to this already but I have heard noting - this is really becoming a pain in the A$$ 

Are you able to replicate the problem?
Do you need any more details from me?

The only thing that may change soon is I will have to updated to Windows 10 within next few days - if anything changes then I will report back

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My issues have been solved without me doing any active part. My guess is some background update has fixed it.

(edit: the issues WAS solved for a time, but no longer)

u_kadru
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Not solved for me. Impossible to save a Photoshop file while the file is being synced by Dropbox.

mindinsomnia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This issue is driving me insane. I work with large files all day. The previous functionality of Dropbox was simply perfect, I could save a file any time, and it would restart syncing when the file changed. Now Dropbox locks the file and I can't save the file again until it's finished, or if I pause Dropbox, click save, then unpause Dropbox. I work with 500MB files routinely in Blender and Photoshop, waiting for syncing to finish isn't an option, and pausing/unpausing Dropbox every 5 minutes is driving me up the wall. If this behaviour isn't reverted back soon I will have no choice but to stop using Dropbox as this issue is now distracting me from my work. Dropbox should be something I can ignore, that runs in the background, not something I have to micromanage every 5 minutes!

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, This issue needs to be fixed. @Walter you are welcome to make a test on my computer. In my case it is not Photoshop, but an app for flow analysis. If I try to compile a project with Dropbox active, it fails. But if I put Dropbox sync on "pause" it works smoothly. So Dropbox is interfering with something it shouldn't. During compilation a temp file is created, and I think Dropbox put a lock on this file, and thus interupting the process.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi All; apologies for the late reply.

I was just wondering if any of you are still seeing this behavior when editing files that are syncing via our desktop app through a 3rd party app. 

If you do, I'd like to put you in touch with our support team so let me know here and I'll create a ticket for you asap using the email address that's linked to your profile(s) here on our Community.

Thanks a bunch for your patience and cooperation and I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience so far. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?