cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Save Error - Photoshop + File Sync +Locked Files

I need to disable syncing in order to save changes in Photoshop.

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There seems to be a change in the behavour in file sync. Now Dropbox interupt the saving process of an application (Planimate from InterDynamics). When the software saves it's file, I understand it does this to a temp file with ending .$$$. When the save process is done, and the file is verified, it replaces the orginal file with the new one and change the file ending the the appropriate. This has worked fine with Dropbox for many years. But lately Dropbox interrupt this and "lock" the temp file, making the software fail to save its files. Not very nice. I have to turn off Dropbox every time I do development nowadays. Please revert to a sync method less intrusive. 

53 Replies 53

GPGS_PHOTOSHP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

HI - many apologies, I swear I replied to this with an update - anyway, will try again.

After finally intalling Windoiws 10, the problem has 95% gone, I can now save files in photoshop without error and without having to pause sync.

The only error I see now, with regard to sync and Adobe, is when I am in Bridge and I am updating Metadata on my image sets. Some will fail and not save the changes, but, if I turn off Dropbox sync they will all update no problem.

So, in short, yes, seems sorted but I assume due to windows 10 update and nothing that Dropbox did, anyway, we should all be on Win 10 now anyway (yay!!!**###???), also, if you are on Win 7 - you can srtill get the free update, if thats what holding you back

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walter I now get issues with Microsoft Power BI as well. I cannot develop in the file as long as Dropbox is active. I need to put Dropbox sync on pause, then Power BI will be responsive again.

I do not like the development of Dropbox at all. You had a great service that I have paid for many many years. But I get very close to the point when I will take the troouble of finding another cloud service for backup and file sharing. Please remove this stupid feature of file locking, or whatevery you do, to interfere with files. I'm not interested in working many people on the same file at the same time. Let me disable that part completely. I'm NOT interested in that, but I AM interested in what Dropbox used to be...

DominicKB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm stuck with this same BIG issue since 2020. I used to be able to just save every few seconds in Photoshop without a problem, and now I get this message forcing me to wait for the sync to be done before I can save again. (it's that "file is locked" problem) I tried everything. 

Just like you I'm considering moving to other cloud saving options now. The whole reason why I used dropbox over other clouds is for how efficient it was to work on a Photoshop file directly from dropbox and have access to many saved states backups in case I screw up. Now we have to close the sync until we're done working, which makes us lose all of those backups. I've lost a whole print artwork because I was working without sync and I accidentally saved it in a lower res and it's screwed.

RIP

lllama
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat. Used to work with various enormous files, be it psd, tiff or avi or whatever and 1) Dropbox wasn't locking the files 2) upload pattern seemed to be different, syncing say 2GB file after each ctrl+S took seconds. Now Drobox seems to sync not chunks, but whole files, locks them and - as I learnt the painful way - on forcibly unlocking those files they simply *pooof* gone nothing no trace no sign RIP file.

I'm on Windows 7, so I understand my version of operating system might not be supported anymore, but on the other hand Dropbox still starts and syncs, so that's not the issue. Also I can understand changing the way app works, even if the change seems for the worse. But what I cannot understand is why the app takes full control of my file and removes it during interrupted sync process? File was to be synced local, like most of my files.

This problem persists for some time now, and try as I might I cannot easily change my workflow to accomodate those unexpected changes in Dropbox behavior. Why would I need restore file function anyways if you delete it beyond any chance of restoration? You are charging more $$$ and deliver sub-par product...

Signed: sorely disappointed long-time Dropbox user.

Patrik Bauhn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I'm seeing the same error still. In my case it's saves and build tasks in Visual Studio Code that fails while Dropbox is syncing recently changed files. It almost always fails, but sometimes Dropbox syncs quickly enough to unlock the files, and then it might work. If I pause Dropbox the issue goes away, and I started seeing this a few months ago, so it seems to be the same error that others in this thread are experiencing. I'm on Windows 10 Home x64.

Edit: I forgot to mention, no 3rd party apps, and my Dropbox desktop app is on version 99.3.488 at the moment.

studiotan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

We are having the same issue with protools files. Dropbox gives the same error mentioned by other users here. 

Is a real pain in the a$$.

We've already contacted dropbox about this issue months ago but no solution was found.

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walter Please, if not for anyone but your own company, take this seriously. I have now started the transfer of my file away from Dropbox. You have had lots of time to solve this. But I cannot wait for you MAYBE solve it.

Thank you for all these years. I have enjoyed your service since 2007, so I do not take this lightly. I do really have liked Drobox, but since this issue is not solved, I am now actively testing other solutions. If they do not fail this test period, I will now say goodbye.

John M.233
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having this issue with Unity 3D in June 2020. It was not happening a few months ago. If support could open a ticket that would be great.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for your ongoing reports. 

When you're done with a file associated with the third party apps you are using that result in this error, the best way to resolve this is to save the file and exit the application you were using. Dropbox should then sync the file right away. 

I hope this helps to some extent, but let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

John M.233
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This doesn't address files that are not user created, like temp files. In my case, Unity attempts to copy files from one directory to another but fails because Dropbox takes exclusive access.

What's really strange is that I have excluded both directories from sync but Dropbox continues to lock the files.

Set-Content -Path 'C:\Users\<USER\Dropbox\Temp' -Stream com.dropbox.ignored -Value 1

Set-Content -Path 'C:\Users\<USER\Dropbox\Library' -Stream com.dropbox.ignored -Value 1

Need more support?