cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to disable syncing in order to save changes in Photoshop.

I need to disable syncing in order to save changes in Photoshop.

Mattias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There seems to be a change in the behavour in file sync. Now Dropbox interupt the saving process of an application (Planimate from InterDynamics). When the software saves it's file, I understand it does this to a temp file with ending .$$$. When the save process is done, and the file is verified, it replaces the orginal file with the new one and change the file ending the the appropriate. This has worked fine with Dropbox for many years. But lately Dropbox interrupt this and "lock" the temp file, making the software fail to save its files. Not very nice. I have to turn off Dropbox every time I do development nowadays. Please revert to a sync method less intrusive. 

53 Replies 53

ARealKing
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

But I have encountered similar problems on my macOS too, and it is truly frustrating. As a result, the Dropbox application is almost always paused on all of my systems (Windows, Linux, macOS). Only when I am away for hours, I restart Dropbox to sync. I do not mean that the competitions are better, as I have not tried them. But the current state of Dropbox really sucks and with every update, it becomes more expensive, slower, and less useful.

John M.233
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's a shame. I've tested well over 10,000 files on both Intel and M1 mac, and Windows 10 on 4 different computers. Only the Windows systems give me trouble.

lllama
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been trying to find the culprit, and I'm 99% sure the structure of say .psd files is different and sometimes after changing one slight thing it's dispersed everywhere in the file. I upgraded my connection to 1Gb/s and it obviously helps (not only Dropbox, of course), but I still am sort of amazed how come the files may disappear into the void when upload is interrupted by process crashing for example :(((

Speaking of which I've been exploring the other cloudy options and though changing the workflow is a tad tedious (+1 for you, Dropbox), some companies out there won't delete your files without a way to get them back and not making you aware of the fact.

Oh well...

pkosth
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, the problem still exist in ProTools Win10 Ultimate, and very frustrating!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pkosth Explorer | Level 3
    lllama Helpful | Level 5
    John M.233 Helpful | Level 6
    ARealKing Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?