cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to free up space, how can I unsync Dropbox completely from my computer?

I need to free up space, how can I unsync Dropbox completely from my computer?

david meihaus
New member | Level 2

I need help to free up space on dropbox.  When I delete files on dropbox It deletes them from my pc.  When I go to unsync my pc it tells me in Selective Sync that unselected folders wont appear on this computer.  Dropbox is feeling virusy.  How can I unsync completely and have it not affect my pc?  I appear to be alone in this desire since I cannot find info on doing this.

any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers

david

4 Replies 4

Sync Settings

Nancy
New member | Level 2
If I use the selective sync feature in preferences and unsync a folder I'm sharing and only access thru the web will it effect any of the folders on my PC drive and/or the shared folder?

Re: syncing

Nancy
New member | Level 2
You are not alone in this desire. I too need to free up space on my PC but am worried about that if I unsync the shared folder that it will delete or change the shared folder. None of my files show the "cloud" symbol so I can't tell if they are online only or not

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting in the Community here!

The desktop app is designed to sync any changes made in your account online and the Dropbox folder on your computer @david meihaus.

It would be expected for a deletion of a file from Dropbox to sync down to your local Dropbox folder, and delete the file there too.

If you'd like to stop syncing with the desktop app, you can unlink your account from the app. 

Also, selective sync wont affect any other folders in account @nancy. The folders would be available in your account online, and simply not sync down to your local Dropbox folder.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

truohoma
New member | Level 2

Before making major changes with the sync test with one file or folder that it actually works. I just de-selected several folders from my local drive but they all now remain there, only with label "Ignored Item Conflict) and I'm not anymore sure if any changes made in either end will apply. In my case this is the desktop app on macOS 10.15.6

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

truohoma New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    Nancy New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?