cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I reconnected my desktop app after a few months, and now my local files were overwritten by the site

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi
I was noticing today that my dropbox app was not syncing with the dropbox folder on my computer for a few months.
After a few minutes of trying to find out what happened- I saw that the dropbox app on my computer is signed out, so I logged in.
The problem is that after logging in, the files in the folder was updated from dropbox cloud, instead of the cloud being updated with the files in the folder.
Now I have older versions of files that I've made many changes in them since the last update.
Is there a way to reverse that and get the files that I had this morning on my computer?

please HELP!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I reconnected my desktop app after a few months, and now my local files were overwritten by the

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @nkimhi, thanks for posting today!

If the files were previously synced to the site, you might be able to recover them from the deleted files page.

If not, then it sounds like the files were either overwritten by the site, or, since you had to sign into the app again, are located in an old Dropbox folder on your machine.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: I reconnected my desktop app after a few months, and now my local files were overwritten by the

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @nkimhi, thanks for posting today!

If the files were previously synced to the site, you might be able to recover them from the deleted files page.

If not, then it sounds like the files were either overwritten by the site, or, since you had to sign into the app again, are located in an old Dropbox folder on your machine.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

thanks!

I found the old dropbox folder and it was there !!

you are a life saver!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it, @nkimhi, enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?