cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

spaul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have removed all the members from a folder which was shared before. Even after removing all the members the folder still is treated as a shared folder. The share folder icon is still there. If I want to share a parent it gives an error message : This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder. I think this issue need to be fixed. 

34 Replies 34

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox, @avcs summarizes this issue perfectly, yet is still appears not to be fixed. I have exactly the same issue, working every day with cotractors and it's a huge security risk not being able to see which folders I haven't yet unshared with external members of my team. Your solution of copying and deleting folders and extremely laborious and time consuming.

Please fix this important issue soon!

Michelle D.17
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I can't believe this is still not fixed!  When I log into Dropbox in a browser and the click on Shared (left-side menu) I get a very long list of folders that still show the shared-icon on them even though I have tried to remove sharing for all of them several times!  I need these to be NOT shared and I can't be secure that they aren't any longer as long as your little two-person-icon is still on them!

Sooooo, frustrating!!!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for joining the thread here @Michelle D.17!

You'll need to fully unshare the folder with the steps outlined here, under the "How to unshare a folder" section.

If you tried those steps already, can you let me know what happens when you click the unshare option?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, 

On a Mac, the folder in the desktop app still shows the folder with a small icon inside (in my case its a building) even after it's been unshared. This makes it impossible to know which folders have been unshared. I have thousands of project folders and cannot go through individual on the web app to check. It's a real security risk and needs to be sorted please!

Thank you

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If it's showing a building icon, this means that this is a team folder rather than a shared folder @TB00.

A team folder works differently to a shared folder, as it allows the subfolders to have different permissions.

To clarify, are you an admin on a business team, or a member of a team?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi - apologies for the confusion. I'm an admin of a business team. So I get the building icon when I share the folder with contractors I'm working with. When I remove them I'm still left with the building icon. So there seems to be no way if me knowing which folders are still shared with external contractors and which aren't.  Am I just using it incorrectly in the first place? Thanks

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

P.S. I assumed it was a Shared folder because I used the "Share Folder" action to share it.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @TB00, was this folder originally a team folder, or a private folder on your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay - a Team folder, I guess (ie it's not in my personal box). Once I share a folder with associate contractors (who are not Team members) then the building icon appears. Once I remove those members (which I now consider 'unshared') , the building icon is still present and can't be removed. Therefore I can't easily tell which folders need to be 'unshared'. Thanks 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @TB00; sorry to jump in here, but can you send us a screenshot of how this looks like on your end so that we can have a visual too?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dfscott12 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    wn_024 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?