cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

I removed members but folder is still shown as shared. Why?

spaul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have removed all the members from a folder which was shared before. Even after removing all the members the folder still is treated as a shared folder. The share folder icon is still there. If I want to share a parent it gives an error message : This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder. I think this issue need to be fixed. 

34 Replies 34

TB00
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter - attached is a screen grab sample from my finder. Folders with the icon on are ones that I have shared with associates (which is when the icon appears) and the ones without are folders that I haven't shared with anyone outside of my Team. Thanks

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 23.26.07.png

Michelle D.17
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for the link.  As I 'shared' in the feedback for those instructions I find these to be cumbersome and not intuitive.

If I wanted to remove part of a group on a shared folder, the instructions to Remove a Member(s) make sense.  However if I want to Unshare a Folder I should not have to *also* Remove a Member(s).  Unshare literally means to NOT share something and if I want to Unshare a Folder it should be a simple, one-step-process.

Yes, this did help me Unshare a number of folders but it took far too long as I had already been through the process of removing the members from sharing a long time ago.

CarlGm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I faced the same issue: When removing by clicking on the link line underneath the folder name and removing all persons, the folder is still somehow tagged/ blocked as "shared" (showing people still on the folder icon). Only when you follow the 3 steps indicated above by my appreciated user colleague - going via settings and clicking on the "stop sharing" dropbox is really stopping the sharing function.

Also, when deleting a folder, the sharing function is still activated, it should be deleted, too.

Finally after 1 hour trouble shooting, dropbox still does not allow to share the parent folder, even all subfolder sharing is deleted.

I had to create a new parent folder and then it worked 🙂

Conclusion: very buggy - dropbox should fix this - no good value for the money - Onedrive comes for free with Windows license.

dfscott12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The option to unshare a folder does not show up in my settings tab. Is there another way to access this or allow the unshare option to show up?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dfscott12, let's see what we can find on this! 

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your end, when you try to access your settings tab? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dfscott12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sure, see below. Thanks!dropbox settings.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dfscott12, it looks like this isn't a shared folder, could it be part of a shared folder itself? What icon is in the folder when viewing from the site?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dfscott12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Yes, I removed the shared participants but it is still showing up with the shared icon on the folder. Inside the this folder I have other unshared shared folders that do the same thing. The problem is I need to share a different folder but it won’t let me because it thinks I have more than 10 shared folders in the master.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @dfscott12 

When you removed the people from the share did you also remove yourself? That step is needed to actually 'close' the share - if you are still in the folder as a shared user even if nobody else is the system treats it as shared. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wn_024
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
  1. Just after I posted this I found the solution so Dropbox won't see the folder as shared anymore.

1. Click on the Share button for the folder
    2. Go to the settings icon
    3. Bottom left, you have the option to unshare folder

regarding the last step 3 - I can't find the option to 'unshare folder', can you help thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dfscott12 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    wn_024 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?