cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't download

I shared a folder and they can't download it

Holly9525
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I shared a folder with someone and they got this error message when they tried to download the folder --Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 4.43.39 PM.jpg

"Not enough space to access folder"  Enough space where? On my Dropbox account? On her computer? How can we make this work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Holly9525 wrote:

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I just want them to be able to download the files in the folder.

Don't invite them to a shared folder. By doing that, they need a Dropbox account and enough space within their own account to hold the shared folder. Instead, send them a shared link to the folder, which will allow downloads without needing a Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Holly9525, thanks for checking in. 

Generally, since shared folders take up space in every member's account, the user needs to make sure that they have enough storage to add it. 

Do you want them to be able to edit the contents of the folder, or do you simply want them to access and download it?

Let me know whenever you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Holly9525
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I just want them to be able to download the files in the folder.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Holly9525 wrote:

Don't invite them to a shared folder. By doing that, they need a Dropbox account and enough space within their own account to hold the shared folder. Instead, send them a shared link to the folder, which will allow downloads without needing a Dropbox account.

Holly9525
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich!

fiteclub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is no longer true.  You must have a Dropbox account in order to download from a shared link.  You can use the "send a copy" feature to send data to someone, but this is limited to 2GB.  This is really stupid limitation that Dropbox has implemented to make people become subscribers.

fiteclub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich,

Even the link you posted to solve the problem says "view only access" in the url.  This should be a hint that your solution does not work.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fiteclub wrote:

This is no longer true.  You must have a Dropbox account in order to download from a shared link.

That's not accurate. You do not need a Dropbox account in order to download files from a shared link. Nothing has changed in this regard. You can see it working in the video at the following link (was too large to attach here):

Even the link you posted to solve the problem says "view only access" in the url.  This should be a hint that your solution does not work.

View-only access includes the ability to download.

fiteclub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich,

A quote from your link: "If you’re on a Dropbox Basic, Professional, or Plus account, you can give other Dropbox users edit access to your Dropbox files or folders via link. If you share with someone without a Dropbox account, they’ll only be able to preview the file or folder. "

When it says "only be able to preview", this implies to me that the file would not be downloadable...but you are saying this is NOT the case?  If so this is really worded poorly.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fiteclub wrote:

When it says "only be able to preview", this implies to me that the file would not be downloadable...but you are saying this is NOT the case?

View-only, as in "Cannot edit the file."

In Dropbox's case, a shared link that provides view-only access can be downloaded as the linked video above shows. The exception to this is if the file's owner has a Professional or Business account has disabled downloads for a particular link (a feature of those account types).

Need more support?