cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I shared a folder but the recipients saw a different name for the folder, why is that?

Highlighted

I shared a folder but the recipients saw a different name for the folder, why is that?

Explorer | Level 3

I am using the free version of Dropbox for work.  I am the owner of a particular file which I have shared and named as (lets call it for the purpose of this chat) "Managers".  However, I have been informed that when others received the invitation to this Dropbox it is called "2019".  Any suggestions?  There was a second person who had permission to edit so not sure if they have possibly done something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alison.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Share files

Dropboxer

Hi there @Alison GGS, thanks for reaching out!

When the folder was shared, did you rename the folder in your account at all?

A shared folder can be renamed by each member, without changing the name for the others.

This could be why the new recipients see a different name, if this was the old name of the folder.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, thank you for reaching out.  I have not renamed the folder.  I set it up as "Manager" and would not have named it "2019" in the first place.  Is there anyway I can get everyone who has access to this folder to see it as the proper name i.e. "Manager"?  Everyone only has read only access.

I look forward to your response

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that for me @Alison GGS!

Is the "2019" name that the others see perhaps one of the subfolders of "Manager" or a parent folder?

If not, I could suggest to try unsharing the "Managers" folder completely and re-sharing it fresh.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?