cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think that one of the folders I've set to Online-only is still taking up Hard Disk space.

Highlighted

I think that one of the folders I've set to Online-only is still taking up Hard Disk space.

Explorer | Level 3

I have set most of the files and folders to local without problem but I have one large folder which I want to set to online only.

I have copied the folder to my Dropbox and then right clicked to

> Smart Synch > Online only

However the folder is still taking space on my local hard drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Setting Folder to Online

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @killjoy, thanks for the screenshot! Definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

In general, online-only files use a small amount of space on your hard drive, in relation to the full amount, to store information about the file, such as its name and location. 

It looks like the folder is Smart Synced as online-only, and taking up less space on your hard drive, as it's showing to take up only 17 MB instead of 45 GB. 

If you want the folder to be removed locally from your Dropbox folder but still keep it in your Dropbox account, you can selectively sync it. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @killjoy, I’m here to help clarify matters!

As you mentioned that you’ve now set your folder to be Online-only ☁️, this means that the folder’s physical size should be close to 0kb. There are various places to see the size of a file & some of these locations will display the logical size, whereas others the physical size. You can reference the folder’s ‘Get info’ to get to see a side-by-side comparison however.

So that we’re aligned, could you include a screenshot (omitting personal info) in your next message for me showing me what you’re seeing on the ‘Get info’ window to further advise? 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me.

A basic question how/where can I reference the folder’s ‘Get info’ ?  The only place I can see the file size on my machine is in Windows explorer which shows it as 45GB.

A secondary issue, which may well be related, is when I check on my Dropbox status it says "synching 6 files + 3hrs" and it has been like this overnight, how can I see what files it is trying to synch? (My connection is 15 Mbps.)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the extra details; I’ll do my best to further clarify @killjoy!

If you’re working on a pc, then you’d have to reference the folder’s “Properties” for the physical &/or logical size. 

Since you mentioned that the app’s still syncing, I’m wondering if you had placed the large folder you’ve marked as Online-only in Dropbox on Friday when we first discussed that. If so, then the files would have to be indexed before syncing to our servers & that’s why it may take a bit of time for the space to be reflected. 

You can follow the  sync icons to paint a clearer picture if something got stuck along the way. If the folders have synced by now, could you clear the Dropbox cache folder as a follow-up step to see if that makes a difference? 

If you’re still facing an issue with the folder taking-up hard disk space, please include a screenshot of the folder’s “Properties” in your next post & I’ll do my best to further advise. 

Thanks again!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Synching finished.

Cache cleared and in Dropbox.com the folder is sshown as online only but still takes up space on HDD.

Properties as per:Screenshot 2019-12-10 07.33.22.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @killjoy, thanks for the screenshot! Definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

In general, online-only files use a small amount of space on your hard drive, in relation to the full amount, to store information about the file, such as its name and location. 

It looks like the folder is Smart Synced as online-only, and taking up less space on your hard drive, as it's showing to take up only 17 MB instead of 45 GB. 

If you want the folder to be removed locally from your Dropbox folder but still keep it in your Dropbox account, you can selectively sync it. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Seems to be OK now, it looks like it was just taking a long while to synch, thanks for the help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it's all sorted now, @killjoy

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?