cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I typed the domain incorrectly when inviting to a shared folder, were my files compromised?

I typed the domain incorrectly when inviting to a shared folder, were my files compromised?

Gear_head
New member | Level 2

I shared a folder with an external person. I typed in the email exactly. The person got the invite from Dropbox to create an account. Only thing is, the spelling of the domain name was slightly different. Easy to miss. So this person was not able to log in. I am worried of hackers but how is this possible the email is coming from Dropbox with the incorrect spelling? How do I know if my files were compromised? I unshared the folder but maybe too late. Anyone seen this?

1 Reply 1

Re: I typed the domain incorrectly when inviting to a shared folder, were my files compromised?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @Gear_head, thanks for posting!

As you already removed the incorrect email from the shared folder, this means it will no longer be accessible via that email address.

Depending on the typo made in the email, it may be that the invite was correctly redirected by the Email Service Provider.

Your folder and it's content should be secure as you took the necessary steps to make sure the content is safe, by removing the incorrect email.

I hope this helps clarify that matter, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?