cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I unlinked my computer from Dropbox and now a lot of my desktop files are gone

I unlinked my computer from Dropbox and now a lot of my desktop files are gone

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks in advance! I recently took an online art class, that the teacher uses Dropbox to send us her files. I clicked the link and created an account. Dropbox installed on my computer and cell (which was linked) It immediately started copying my thousands of files. I did not want it to do that.! I really did not realize that it would automatically start copying everything and I had no idea how to stop it…it wouldn’t let me cancel.   I wanted to get rid of Dropbox.  I was unsure of exactly what to do. I Googled articles about DropBox and how to leave it installed but unlink the devices. I carefully followed the advice;I unlinked them. Not only did all the saved files from class disappear BUT the folders of personal artwork,etc just disappeared off my desktop. It had thrown the trash bin away, I thought I could undelete them. I have tried all morning to get the trash bin……no luck.  Before I do too much more… are there are steps I can do to restore  my files? I want to do it correctly. Should I go back and try to link my PC back to the account and it may restore the files? I am afraid it will start automatically copying things again.  I am 71 years old. I do not have anyone to help me with this. Any help you can provide will be more than appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks to both people who helped me with ideas. The files weren't in trash but I found some of them inside a Dropbox folder and was able to go in and drag them out on the desktop.  I will give up on the others.

I removed Dropbox from my cellphone apps and from the desktop programs.

The community is amazing for helping me! Thanks again!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @deltastar, thanks for joining us on the Dropbox Community!

It seems that during the installation of the Dropbox application, you turned on 'computer backup', which backs up your desktop files to Dropbox. 

At this point, it would be best to link the computer back to the application and allow it to finish syncing.

You can see the syncing status by hovering your mouse over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.

Have you also checked the Dropbox folder in your Finder/File explorer for your desktop files? Whatever files sync to your Dropbox, should appear there.

You can also check the deleted files page in your account.

Then, once syncing is finished, you should be able to turn off computer backup safely.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, Hannah,

Thanks for a reply.

I have 40 GB of photos in my files alone without all the other things. Wouldn't it be over the limits of a free account and time consuming? Wanted in put before I started this. It could be creating another problem. 

I don't plan on using Dropbox after this. I just want my files back.

Thanks!!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @deltastar, did you check the deleted files page as my colleague suggested to see if the files could be recovered?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay.... I am waiting for someone to respond to this concern that I replied back to Hannah last week . I wrote:

"I have 40 GB of photos in my files alone without all the other things. Wouldn't it be over the limits of a free account and time consuming? Wanted valuable input before I started this. It could be creating another problem. 

I don't plan on using Dropbox after this. I just want my files back. Thanks!!! "

No one has addressed this concern. . Perhaps you can address this and I can get my files. I am more than stressed about this.

Thanks, Jay

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Yes, if the amount of files is greater than your quota on your account, then the files wouldn't sync completely. The account would then be overquota and would no longer sync until it goes below quota.

If you have any missing files and they weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. 

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks to both people who helped me with ideas. The files weren't in trash but I found some of them inside a Dropbox folder and was able to go in and drag them out on the desktop.  I will give up on the others.

I removed Dropbox from my cellphone apps and from the desktop programs.

The community is amazing for helping me! Thanks again!

Mbrosario
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am currently having the same issue. I had no idea that downloading the app to my phone would transfer thousands of my photos to my dropbox, leaving me to buy more storage. I guess this is the way they gain more revenue. Nonetheless, it is not very pleasant, and I cannot delete all at once; you only get a few at a time to delete. Also, when you select three boxes, it won't record the selections and wipe the elected photos chosen, only to repeat the processes repeatedly until you can finally delete four or eight photos.

deltastar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am sure this is a good company HOWEVER this caused a total nightmare for me. It took days and days and time I didn't have. Plus I am not totally sure I got everything back. This is an issue that need to be addressed by the programmers immediately. I know a little about walkarounds in cases like these and got most of the files back, but some people don't. This is unacceptable! I didn't give this program permission to grab everything off my desktop, there were some important private files. More importantly, this does not seem to be an isolated experience. So sorry this happened to you! On the plus side the immediate response from members was outstanding but the solution was.........NOT...... buy more space so it could finishing downloading the massive amount of files; even though I was not going to be using the program after I got my files back. Hopefully you will have also resolved your issue by the time you get this. Take care!

Maddogg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does anyone from Dropbox even ever look at these messages? 

I've got the sameproblem too! Install Dropbox and have it immediately start downloading files. And from external drives of already filed material even!!!

It's STILL backing up stuff I don't want it to back up and nobody here has really told me where to go in the program to actually STOP this without disconecting myself completely from the internet.

Help please??? I  to am i71 years old and this has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

As part of a promotion when buying a new comuter from HP I was offered 100 gigabytes of storage "free" for 1 year. All I've seen the program do is suck up my bandwidth and drain my drives, and use up all that bonus storage.

I THOUGHT DROPBOX WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOLD STANDARD OF STORAGE!!! Now I ddon't think I could EVER recommend this program to ANYONE else!

If staff is reading this...thank you for nothing!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Maddogg New member | Level 2
    deltastar Helpful | Level 6
    Mbrosario New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?