cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I updated my OS and put new files in Dropbox, but after installing the app it synced old files down.

I updated my OS and put new files in Dropbox, but after installing the app it synced old files down.

New member | Level 2

I'm using DB with my all gadgets (Apple). Just put a new operational system. I placed my major files with DB. After the installation was completed, DB has downloaded just old files (around 3 months ago). No "fresh" document or pic or any has appeared with my computer after restarting. Lost all of the info. Do I have any chance to get them back?

3 Replies 3

Re: synсhronization problem

Dropboxer

Hi there @Minherz, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like those files might not have synced with Dropbox.

Just to cover all bases though, if you do a search in your account online, do you see any of the missing files in the results?

Also, I'd suggest checking in the Dropbox cache folder for the files, which you can locate with these steps.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Thank you for your attempt to help.

Actually, all files are old-dated. When I was working with my previous operational system, DB was used by me daily. That is one of my main place to keep documents. I was supposing that in the case of my computer crash, my main documents will be safe because they are in the cloud. I was not syncing DB manually. It was working well all time. When I downloaded DB on my updated computer, the file is in the DB but it is a very old one. It is more than 3 months late or even more. I cannot find the date, because the system gives the same date yesterday when I downloaded DB on my computer again. So, my main information is lost just because DB is not working properly. DB was using on a constant basis every day... how can I suppose that before I need to use it, first I need to copy EVERYTHING on Hard Disc? Otherwise, more than 50% of the info was lost. Great damage. How after that accident I may use DB in the future? 

I doubt that you can help. I cannot follow your instructions - files are in place but with a very old version...

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @Minherz.

If you were using the app daily to sync any changes made, can you please check the version history of some of your recently used files and check for a recent edit listed there to revert to?

Also, please have a look at your events page here to see your account activity in the last 6 months to see if the edits you have been making recently have been syncing to Dropbox.

For the files to have been reverted to a 3 month old version or so, it could mean that the app wasn't running to sync the previous changes.

Otherwise, is it possible that when updating the OS, you restored files from a previous time machine backup?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?