cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've lost files and folders that had never made it to the servers. What can I do?

Highlighted

I've lost files and folders that had never made it to the servers. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So, my problem is that I've lost everything I've worked on dating back to October. Super great.

What I think happened is back in October I reset my computer without deleting files, so when it was done I had the dropbox folder same as ever but didn't realize the connection to the server was severed. Saved files to the folder just as I ever did.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I noticed it was syncing and didn't know why, so I re-downloaded dropbox. When it merged with the dropbox folder on my computer, I think it overwrote the contents with the server version. Files gone. Just gone. Not in my recycle bin or anywhere I know to look. 

I don't think there's any way to fix it through the server because it didn't upload the stuff in the dropbox folder. It just vanished them. Is there somewhere on my computer I can look? Somewhere else that a local copy might be stored?

Btw, on dropbox online, there's nothing in deleted files, nothing listed in the events page. Makes sense because the files I had never made it to the server, they were just destroyed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Lost files and folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello!

So I did check the cache there and it was empty so then I did another search of all files and folders (including hidden) in my c: for a file I had been working on yeasterday and thank Jesus because I was able to find it. I'm attaching a pic of the location for anyone else who encounters my oddball problem.

Annotation 2020-01-17 122412.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @JessNH - how are you today?

I'm sorry to hear about this; and I'd really like to help!

Since those files never made it to our servers, your best bet is your cache folder at this point.

Dropbox keeps a hidden collection, or cache, of your files as a temporary backup storage. Files in the cache folder are stored there often after they are moved or deleted after syncing. If you can't find your files using all other practical methods as you mentioned, you can try to recover the file from Dropbox cache as a last resort. The Dropbox cache will keep your files for up to three days after they have been moved or deleted.

The Dropbox cache folder is hidden in your Dropbox application settings. To rescue a file from your Dropbox cache, follow the instructions listed in the Help Center article below:

As you're not looking to clear the cache, make sure to perform only the first 3 steps to see if you can find any of the missing files you mentioned. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello!

So I did check the cache there and it was empty so then I did another search of all files and folders (including hidden) in my c: for a file I had been working on yeasterday and thank Jesus because I was able to find it. I'm attaching a pic of the location for anyone else who encounters my oddball problem.

Annotation 2020-01-17 122412.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update Jess; I'm glad it's sorted now!

Should you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us 

Have a lovely weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?