cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want my files back like they were

Highlighted

I want my files back like they were

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox asked me if I wanted to start synching automatically, which is great except it took everything off my desktop and put it in a "dropbox folder" on the desktop. I want to see my files on my computer the way I could before. I cannot figure out how to reverse this process, which has also messed up other things on my Mac (Pro 10.14.6). 

Has anyone successfully reversed whatever the hell I did so that I can have my files back where I want them? 

Thanks for any help you can give!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I want my files back like they were

Dropboxer

Hey @ugamichele, thanks for getting back to us and for sending us these screenshots. 

It looks like you've turned computer backup off, so could you try manually moving the files back to their original locations?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @ugamichele, thanks for messaging today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your attempt to help, but it did not work. When I get to the "Backups" tab, it asks about setting it up (picture 2). It's aleady set up. There's no way for me to stop backups that the app doesn't seem to think are happening. What should I do now? As you cansee in picture 1, I'm clearly backed up to Dropbox in some way.Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 10.57.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-07 at 10.56.08 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @ugamichele, thanks for getting back to us and for sending us these screenshots. 

It looks like you've turned computer backup off, so could you try manually moving the files back to their original locations?

Keep us posted!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

That seems to have worked. I just got worried when it said that they'd be removed from all devices. Maybe add to that "except where you're moving them"? It's a shame that I can't back up to Dropbox without it taking over what my desktop/documents spaces look like. That would be a great fix, IMO. 

Thanks for the help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve this in the end and thanks for your feedback, @ugamichele

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?