cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I want search results to show file names containing the keywords first, not content. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

There needs to be a way to search by name instead of (what appears to be) a content search. Or at the very least it needs to move file name matches to the top of the results. E.g., I'm searching for a PDF about natural language processing (minor irony) and the first actual file with the word "natural" in it isn't even on the first screen.

I don't want folders, I don't want PDFs whose contents happen to contain the word "natural", I just want files named `*natural*`. This seems kind of... basic, so I assume I'm missing something about the search bar. 

Searching for `*natural*` sort of works (as long as I don't have PDFs chosen) in that at least files and docs are showing up somewhat closer to the top, but... come on.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Search, again.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @davelnewton!

I understand what you're referring to there and I've made sure to pass this along to our dev team for review in future improvements. As you correctly mentioned, we don't currently have the option to filter searches only by filename.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here but I'll be more than happy to help with any other questions.

Hope you have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @davelnewton,

When you're searching your account online, can you check that the results are sorted by "Relevance" rather than "Last modified"? These are the options for the second column shown in the search results. Having the results sorted for relevance should show at the top of the list the results with the keywords in the name of the file and underneath these should be files containing the keywords.

Let me know if this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

They're sorted by relevance (for some value of relevance).

Although I'd argue that having the first word of a filename makes it more "relevant" than somewhere else in the filename.

I mean, technically it's usable, but with the automagic content searching, with no way to restrict to filenames only, it's way less usable than it could be. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @davelnewton!

I understand what you're referring to there and I've made sure to pass this along to our dev team for review in future improvements. As you correctly mentioned, we don't currently have the option to filter searches only by filename.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here but I'll be more than happy to help with any other questions.

Hope you have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?