cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I want to delete files from Dropbox but keep them on my hard drive

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I downloaded the Dropbox app because I wasn't sure how it worked. The only reason I have it is to edit shared folders with my colleagues. I probably only needed to access Dropbox from the web, but I downloaded the app as well. I ended up accidentally allowing Dropbox to sync all my files on my computer and store them, taking up space on my free Dropbox account. Now my Dropbox storage is full, and when I try to delete something to get some space back, it deletes the same file on my computer's hard drive as well.

I just want my own files kept on my own computer; I don't need Dropbox to save or backup anything. I want to keep my 2GB storage ONLY for the file-sharing that I do with work. Right now, I can't add any files to my network because my space is taken up by my hard drive files that I never wanted to be part of Dropbox. I tried disabling backup so now the files don't sync, but I still can't delete anything from Dropbox without deleting it off my hard drive. Please help.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: I want to delete files from Dropbox but keep them on my hard drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @kelseylace; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

From the sounds of it, instead of using our selective sync feature, you must have enabled the computer backup feature, so I'd suggest starting from the following Help Center article: 

Let me know if you have any follow up questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?