cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to have two local dropbox folders (one to selectively sync, the other to sync all)

I want to have two local dropbox folders (one to selectively sync, the other to sync all)

Thomas P.12
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there!

I have a SSD MacBook Pro which allows for 300 GB free space to which I selectivly sync my local drobox-folder where I store things I need often. Since my 2 TB cloud Dropbox gets Photo- and Video Uploads from around 10 devices (e.g. from my kids via smartphones and iPads) it'll be impossible to sync that to my built in SSD. For that purpose I created a Dropbox-folder in my external HDD of 4 TB size which was completly synched at one point in time, i.e. an exact copy of what I stored in my dropbox cloud.
Now it seems difficult to "pump up" this external drive, because the local dropbox folder seems to be either one and not both.

How can I achieve this without having to buy a second computer, only to fill the HDD.
I'd appreciate a quick response.

Thanks, Thomas.

2 Replies 2

Re: I want to have two local dropbox folders (one to selectively sync, the other to sync all)

Rich
Super User II

@Thomas P.12 wrote:

Dropbox has no such feature. The Dropbox app will only sync to a single Dropbox folder.

Re: I want to have two local dropbox folders (one to selectively sync, the other to sync all)

Thomas P.12
Explorer | Level 4

In this case it would be helpful to tell dropbox the an external drive is the folder to be synched to and that the absence of the folder is not a command to delete the content that is mirrored therein. Deletion is an option of an express command by an active user. That would help a lot.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thomas P.12 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?