cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to immediately replace a file copied to Dropbox

I want to immediately replace a file copied to Dropbox

New member | Level 2

When I copy a file to Dropbox with the same name as a file already there the new file is labeled as a copy.  I want the new file to immediately replace the existing file with the same name.  A prior version of Dropbox did that.  Is it possible to do that using the current version of Dropbox?  I would like to avoid having to delete the existing file and renaming the new file.

1 Reply 1

Re: I want to immediately replace a file copied to Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey @sienabound; thanks for joining our Community and sorry for the late response. 

Can you please let me know if you're doing this on our website or if this happens when you copy or move a file into your Dropbox folder on your computer while our desktop app is syncing? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?