cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to leave Dropbox w/all files intact! I hate it!

I want to leave Dropbox w/all files intact! I hate it!

Jonny V
Explorer | Level 3

I'm new, I hate it and I want to leave Dropbox. I can't get supports attention long enough to know how to exit with all files intact. Every time I open DB files have migrated somewhere, usually into and out of the deleted file, w/o my touching a thing. At one time all flies were in the DB deleted file. The next time all was seemingly fine. I didn't do anything to move them at all. As I said I'm new to DB and with the risk of losing files I'd work on for 6 months, I wasn't going to risk their loss. I hated it the minute I downloaded it because it took several files off my desktop swooshing them through the air and into DROPBOX HELL... Although any time you pull up that file in a search the file path shows that its on my desktop. I've been trying for over a month to exit with help from chat "support", however, when they don't get back to you for SEVERAL DAYS at a time... Any Help would be appreciated as I've been trying to get out for over a month!

3 Replies 3

Re: I want to leave Dropbox w/all files intact! I hate it!

Elixir
Super User

Hello @Jonny V, If you want to unlink and uninstall the Dropbox app from your computer, here are few suggestions: 

- Make sure your Dropbox app has finished all pending sync, and up to date. If you hover over the Dropbox icon in the menubar/taskbar it will show up to date. 

- Make a backup of all Dropbox content: the Dropbox folder (default location is under your home folder), and folders synced via Dropbox backup (e.g., Desktop, Documents, Downloads etc.)

- Next go to Dropbox settings: click the Dropbox icon in the munubar/taskbar → click your profile icon → choose Preferences. Then navigate to Accounts tab and sign out. That will unlink your Dropbox account from your computer. You can now quit Dropbox app: Click the munubar/taskbar → click your profile icon → Select Quit. And finally, you can uninstall the Dropbox app from your computer. 

- This will still give you access to your Dropbox account online via web browser. You can login to https://www.dropbox.com/home and access your files. If you don't need the Dropbox account at all, you can go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/general →scroll down to the bottom and delete your account (make sure you have backed up all your files and folders from Dropbox).

Jonny V
Explorer | Level 3

Elixer I do appreciate your help.

- As I said, I am completely new to Dropbox and really techie I'm not... I generally use Firefox as a browser and switched to Chrome to see if things were different. No one ever suggested it and I've found that they're very different! My Firefox is a bit locked down... However, hovering over the Dropbox logo/icon in the upper left displays nothing as far as an "up to date" message in either browser. Hovering over the logo/icon in my lower taskbar does display that message though.

- When it comes to making "a back up of Dropbox content".... How? 

- Also, the path you suggested to get to preferences - "Next go to Dropbox settings: click the Dropbox icon in the munubar/taskbar → click your profile icon → choose Preferences."  This is my path there... Profile icon>settings>preferences and then there is no "Accounts tab".  Nothing I can find that has a "sign out" or "quit Dropbox app". Just "delete Dropbox".

- It was suggested that I drag files back to my desktop but that only leaves a link. Ugh...

- FYI Since adding Dropbox, my computer warns of low disk space, which is something I've not seen before. Additionally, I do have a Seagate 2TB external drive.

Elixir
Super User

Hello @Jonny V, I was referring to the Desktop app not the the Dropbox web. If you are on windows and Dropbox app is running, you should see a Dropbox icon in the taskbar tray area. In macOS, it should appear in the menubar.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 12.41.54 AM.png

Alternatively, you can also unlink your computer from the website as well. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/security scroll down to the bottom of the page for Devices section and press the trash icon on the right next your computer name. This will unlink your account and your desktop app. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elixir Super User
    Jonny V Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?