cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want to like (and use) paper, but...

Highlighted

I want to like (and use) paper, but...

Explorer | Level 4

I am a big fan of dropbox. 

Naturally I want to like paper, and I will try very hard to adopt it...

But what I was hoping for is an easy, clean, simple editor that I can run on my PC, iphone and ipad, the synchronizes documents across the devices, and easily lets me export static documents that I can share with others, in PDF, Markdown and HTML format.

I want a simple way to insert pictures, graphics which I often draw on my ipad, code blocks, Markdown formatting, etc.  

In fact, any multi-platform editor with dropbox support that meets this description will be perfect.  When I heard about Paper, I figured that it would naturally fit the need.  

But not quite...

1.  I need to create and edit my paper documents on my PC, using an application on my PC.  

I want the document to synch to dropbox and to my other devices, but that does not mean I am willing to work on my documents through a web page interface.  In fact, I am not willing to work on my documents through a web page interface.  I want local editing of the files.

2.  I want to know that I can get at my content at anytime.  I like Markup documents, because I know that I can always open them in any text editor.  And my files are stored locally on my PC.

But I can't find these paper documents anywhere except on the web site.  Presumably they are in a format that I can not access.  

3.  So far I can not reliably export the document to markdown or docx. Docx export did work once, but was very slow.  What I publish to "my customers" will not be "paper" documents.  I need to export PDF, Markdown and HTML.  (PDF exporting is available by printing to PDF, so that is the quickest and most reliable of the three options.)

I am hoping that paper evolves into a product that meets my workflow.  I now realize that paper may be targeting a different set of users, but I do think the features that I want will also benefit your target customer base. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there, 

Thank you for your comments on Paper, and for sharing your experience with us. 

Paper is indeed fresh out of the gate, and is primarily intended for online presentation and collaboration. Your ideas on how Paper can evolve to fit the needs of a wider audience are quite interesting, and I’m sure our developers will welcome them. 

We really do appreciate your feedback
Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I agree with the OP except for the web app part. I personally welcome a web app because it makes me platform independent which is important to me. 

There's one point I wanna expand on: I really believe the Paper files should be visible and accessible in Dropbox. In my view the perfect way would be to see the Paper documents as .md files in Dropbox, together with the ability to right click and "Open in Paper" which would then open them in the Paper app. Of course edits to the markdown should be possible through the md files directly and then be visible in the Paper web app as well. I'd also like the separate Paper app folder hierarchy to go away and move to Dropbox, which already does this well. I find it confusing that we have "two worlds" right now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey hachre, 

Thanks for your feedback! I’m sending your comments on to our Paper team for review. 

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?