cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email populating Shared request

I want to remove a contact on my suggested sharing options.

michaelp1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I need to delete misspelled or old emails that populate when I begin to Share a folder. How do I clean my contact list? I do not let DB access any external emails.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Unfortunately, you can't.

You can disconnect all third-party service contacts (which you say you don't use), but there's no way to edit the learned names or emails. All you can do is type them properly each time you need to share.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Unfortunately, you can't.

You can disconnect all third-party service contacts (which you say you don't use), but there's no way to edit the learned names or emails. All you can do is type them properly each time you need to share.

pfurbacher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This doesn't even come close to answering the question. In my case, it's not an error with the email address, but the supposed alias name that has somehow gotten associated with that ***correct*** email address. For instance (making up an alias and email address to protect the innocent, or not so innocent): when I enter "so.and.so@somewhere.org", DropBox insists that the alias is "Bart Barterson". I want to get rid of the alias because it's just plain wrong and I don't want to offend the recipient of sharing invitation email whose name is, in this made up case, "Betty". To make things worse, my own email address is somehow associated with an alias from someone else's email address, which is not even remotely close to mine! Grrrr!

Note that I have NEVER shared a contacts list from any service (not Google, Outlook, Yahoo), nor from my device!

I have complained about this before via "Contact Us", but DropBox arrogantly won't fix this problem!

CC201
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem. Dropbox changed an email from Rick to Rickpigsty @.....

This could cost me tens of thousands of dollars if it got out that way. 

Has Dropbox been hacked? How come I can't change this somehow!!!!!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pfurbacher wrote:
This doesn't even come close to answering the question.

It does. There is no way to remove or edit a single contact. You can either remove contacts added from connected services (as noted in my previous reply) or you can clear all manually added contacts.

To make things worse, my own email address is somehow associated with an alias from someone else's email address, which is not even remotely close to mine!

Check your name and email address as they appear on your Account page and make sure they're correct.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CC201 wrote:

Dropbox changed an email from Rick to Rickpigsty @.....

Dropbox wouldn't have done that. Dropbox does not change email addresses that are associated with an account. Only you or someone with access to your account would have been able to make such a change.

And no, Dropbox has not been hacked, but that's not to say that your account hasn't been compromised by other means, such as a weak password or sharing a password with another compromised service.

You can easily update your email address on your Account page. WHile you're at it, if you believe your account has been compromised, then you should change your password and review the linked devices and web sessions that are active on your Security page.

Need more support?