cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to send a shared link but be linked only to their email addresses. How can I do that?

I want to send a shared link but be linked only to their email addresses. How can I do that?

valleyofvision
New member | Level 2

I want to share a folder with family. I have their email addresses.

I don't know if their email addresses are linked to an already-created Dropbox account.

I want them to be able to view the folder and its contents only if they have a dropbox account linked to their email address.

Why? Because I don't just want anybody with the shared link to be able to see the folder. It's to secure the privacy of the folder.

6 Replies 6

Re: Contacts I share a folder with might have not registered with Dropbox. How can i force them to r

Mark
Super User II
It isnt possible to do what you want with a Shared Link I'm afraid. A possible work around would be to use a password? Thats only available on certain plans though: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/set-link-permissions

Alternatively to make sure they all have an account use a Shared Folder (https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others). You can only access them if you have an account. But, note a few things with these:
-the share is limited to the size of THEIR quota
-there is nothing, at all, to stop them moving the files/folders to another share (or copying) and re-sharing it to others
-In shared folders everybody has read/write access unless you set permissions. Some of which, again, are only available for Paying users
-everybody in the share will be able to see everybody elses email addresses.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Contacts I share a folder with might have not registered with Dropbox. How can i force them to r

ramblingpolak
Helpful | Level 6

Was trying to find a similar feature when deciding whether to move over to Dropbox. Currently use a competing service that allows you to require clicking an email verification link to prove you're the intended recipient of the link -- no account required.

Any idea if Dropbox will ever implement something like that? It's a challenge to share stuff when you need added security but the recipient may not be Dropbox user.

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, have you considered using our Transfer feature @ramblingpolak?

While we're at it, you may want to take a look at our traffic and insights feature as well.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ramblingpolak
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks that’s pretty much what I’m looking for. The only difference is “Recipients can share the transfer link.”

The service I currently use allows me to require clicking an email verification link so that links can’t be shared with others. But creating an account is not required.

valleyofvision
New member | Level 2

Interesting. Care to share the competing service's identity?

ramblingpolak
Helpful | Level 6
Just to be clear—sharing with another Dropbox account is absolutely better than what I mentioned above. Just not always feasible. For that use case I like the approach from Tresorit. Dropbox is a great product!
Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?