cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was added to a shared account, which when I joined merged and deleted all personal files

Highlighted

I was added to a shared account, which when I joined merged and deleted all personal files

Explorer | Level 3

Hello

I was added to a shared account with an email address related to that organisation. I already had a personal account with content in it. Now I seem to only be able to see the folders from the organisation and all personal folders have gone, however I log in. 

It's very worrying as my personal files go back a few years. 

Thanks 

1 (1).png2.png

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: I was added to a shared account, which when I joined merged and deleted all personal files

Dropboxer

Hey there @Kentperson; thanks for joining our Community!

Have you tried logging into your personal account through an incognito window or another browser

Can you see your files there?

Keep me posted on your findings!

PS: I edited your screenshots to remove some sensitive personal information to align with our Community's Guidelines. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: I was added to a shared account, which when I joined merged and deleted all personal files

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter

I've just tried that but with no joy. Weirdly, the personal account with a personal email has saved the organisation's name, whilst the reverse is for the other account. However my personal content is still gone. 

Can you help? Some very personal content in there. 

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 15.02.42.pngScreenshot 2020-11-21 at 15.00.35.png

Thanks 

Sasha 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It seems that you joined a Dropbox for teams account with a personal one of yours and upon that process that account became a member of the team account, Sasha. 

May I ask if you can locate the missing files or folders in the sharing tab of either account or if you can see any sign of them in the events page

If you you'd like to swap the email addresses between your accounts, you can use these steps

Let me know how you get on. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?