cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon issue - since updating to Big Sur, some .md files show a TextEdit icon instead. Any ideas?

Icon issue - since updating to Big Sur, some .md files show a TextEdit icon instead. Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I use MacDown (a markdown app) and save files in the Dropbox folder. Since I updated to Big Sur (latest version of macOS), some .md files in the Dropbox folder no longer have their MacDown icon, but a TextEdit icon instead. If I move these files out of the Dropbox folder, they get their true icon again. An explanation ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Icon issue - since updating to Big Sur, some .md files show a TextEdit icon instead. Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay,

No, because this issue is only with Dropbox folder, not with others. So, the solution is not to use preview option with it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Re: Icon issue

Helpful | Level 6

I realize this problem only occurs if the "preview" presentation option is enabled for the folder.

Re: Icon issue - since updating to Big Sur, some .md files show a TextEdit icon instead. Any ideas?

Dropboxer

Hello there @exa20c1, I hope you're having a good day!

Just to clarify, when you change the folder option that you mentioned, do you no longer see the preview icon changed to a TextEdit icon?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Yes. When I change the Dropbox folder option, I no longer see the preview icon changed to a TextEdit icon. I see a MacDown Icon. By the way, I realize that I get the same issue with other types of file; for instance, with some HTML files. But this occurs only with recently saved files. Old files (before upgrading to Big Sur), are non concerned with this issue.

Dropboxer

Hi @exa20c1, it sounds like this is related to how Big Sur is showing and associating these files in the OS, giving the wrong icon for the files.

Have you tried contacting Apple support for further assistance on this matter?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay,

No, because this issue is only with Dropbox folder, not with others. So, the solution is not to use preview option with it.

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Have you tried reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application (without first uninstalling it) to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6

No, I didn’t, and I do not plan 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?