cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Storage

If I delete files from my Dropbox folder, do they delete from the site?

domiono43
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If I delete files from my computer, do they still stay on Dropbox? I mean is this permanent cloud storage of some kind, or does it just reflect what's currently on my computer? I wanted to move files to Dropbox and delete them from my drive to make more room. Now I'm not sure if that's possible. (Sorry if this is a dumb question, not an IT girl)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @domiono43, thanks for messaging today!

Assuming you have the Dropbox desktop application installed on the machine, and you're deleting files from the Dropbox folder, then these deletions would delete from the site. This is because the Dropbox service is primarily to sync files, including deletions, from computer to site and vice versa.

You could try using selective sync to prevent entire folders in your Dropbox account from appearing on your computer, using the steps in this post of mine.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @domiono43, thanks for messaging today!

Assuming you have the Dropbox desktop application installed on the machine, and you're deleting files from the Dropbox folder, then these deletions would delete from the site. This is because the Dropbox service is primarily to sync files, including deletions, from computer to site and vice versa.

You could try using selective sync to prevent entire folders in your Dropbox account from appearing on your computer, using the steps in this post of mine.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

domiono43
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for this helpful reply!

Need more support?